Taco Bell delivery is the new flavor of the month

Millennials are benefiting from the emerging competition of fast-food-delivery services.

Madison D’Ornellas

Madison D’Ornellas

Madison D’Ornellas

Michael Mendoza, Assistant Opinions Editor

Taco Bell began testing its new delivery service at select locations, giving people another reason to never leave the couch.

The popularity of delivery service is trending, and it looks like it’s becoming a new fixture in today’s on-demand society. The convenience of technology has enabled us to become lazier by the day — it’s too tempting not to try out new delivery services.

Even fan favorites Chipotle, Dunkin’ Doughnuts and Panera are joining in the growing trend of delivery, and we millennials are the ones reaping the benefits.

This generation is all about convenience. Why would I take the time to walk down the street to go eat, when I can stay on my sofa and order up, while laying back and watching “Orange is the New Black’s” newest season?

Millennials are all using “on the fly” services like Netflix or Uber, and college students will especially enjoy Taco Bell’s new delivery experience.

The majority of Taco Bell’s consumers are those of the millennial generation, according to the OC Register, which also reported that some millennials do not drive, either because they are too young or they are instead opting to use rideshare services.

Now students who do not drive or do not want to burn gas just to eat can sit back in their dorms and order Taco Bell for the night with their friend or cuddle buddy. And since no one likes to be the one to make the food run for the entire party, anyone with the app can order grub.

The process of ordering a Taco Bell delivery meal goes through a service called DoorDash, which allows customers to order through the service’s website or app. Once a person places an order on the app or website, DoorDash places the order at the Taco Bell location, picks up the meal and delivers it to your location.

USA Today reported that after receiving a high demand for a delivery service, Taco Bell finally decided to experiment with over 200 locations in the states of California and Texas.

The LA Times reported that customers are charged an average delivery fee of $3.99. The Times also noted that a delivery fee for some residents living near a Pasadena Taco Bell location is only $1.

Taco Bell’s chief executive Brian Niccol said that the new venture is the “Number 1” request from Taco Bell consumers.

“We see a tremendous opportunity to bring the Taco Bell experience to fans where and when they want it the most,” Niccol said, according to an OC Register report.

USA Today also reported that Taco Bell is not the only franchise delving into this potential cash cow. Franchise heavyweights like McDonald’s and Burger King are trying to continue capitalizing on the trend.

Starbucks is also getting ready to start its delivery service in the second half of 2015. Both McDonald’s and Starbucks are partnering up with the delivery service mobile app, Postmates.

The convenience of sitting back and having someone else pick up my food for me is like not having to study for an exam because you have someone giving you all the answers. Well…almost.