Six reasons to dread Halloween

1. Drunk Drivers- Similar to all holidays where drinking is involved, the danger of drunk driving accidents is a pressing issue. The danger to little kids going trick or treating where one bad decision can lead to horrible consequences. While it’s impossible to make sure everyone doesn’t drink on Halloween, you can make sure that people you know don’t endanger themselves and other people. Either get a designated driver in your group, or call up an Uber or taxi to safely get you and your friends home safe. 
  2. Expensive Costumes– Nowadays with the ever-growing love for Halloween and dressing up in costumes, prices skyrocket. Adult costumes especially can reach ridiculous prices such as a high quality Stormtrooper outfit costing $1,050. Most people are not millionaires and can’t afford such lavish disguises as well as have one good enough to satisfy their love of the holiday. Instead of paying hundreds of dollars for decently made costumes, some people design their own costumes by using simple materials. One that comes to mind includes a literal 50 Shades of Gray Costume using paint chips of different grey color shades. So I’d recommend either sucking down some pride and purchase as cheap a costume as possible, or if you want to be creative, make your own. 
  3. Who wore it better? – Despite the fact that Halloween is the one night trick or treaters can be anything, seriously, anything that they desire to be, each year holds promise of the same  costumes year after year. There’s nothing like thinking back on those long hours you took to purrrfect the cat whiskers and cat-ear headband, until you walk into a halloween party to find you are one of the 1,000 who decided to be a cat for Halloween. Thought your Netflix and Chill costume was clever? So did the other 100 people who came with a bag of ice and a red shirt with the word “Netflix” in puffy paint. Not to mention the handful of Harley Quinn’s or R2-D2s there’ll be with the upcoming releases of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Suicide Squad. Dressing up may appear to be one of the best aspects of Halloween, but the lack of variety in costumes worn each year is no treat to go knocking for. 
  4. Should you trick or treat this year?– The social norm for the cut off age of trick or treaters seems to yet be clarified for millennials. Differentiating between can you trick or treat or should you trick or treat remains a looming question contemplated by some college students. Can you trick or treat? Technically speaking, anyone can trick or treat. However, there’s no promise that candy will actually be received. Should you trick or treat? Considering the fact that the majority of trick or treaters are in elementary school and the majority of college students are not legally considered minors, from a candy giver’s standpoint- not exactly. On the other hand, given the circumstance that a sweet tooth knows no age and most college students are broke, the desire for free candy seems quite understandable. The consensus has yet to be made. 
  5. The trick-or-treaters!! Whether you’re giving out expensive candy or not, you’re going to get trick or-treaters knocking at your door. Halloween decorations used to be a sign that a household was participating. But nowadays regardless of the dark, quiet houses that don’t want to be bothered, the ruthless Elsa’s and Darth Vader’s will hustle every house on the block. What about the trick part? It’s not a surprise to see toilet paper trees, egg slime and vandalism  in neighborhoods post-Halloween night. Darn those hooligans!
  6. The demeaning cheap costumes!! It’s more common to see a Sexy Sriracha and Tipsy Tio Tito appear at doorsteps and parties on Halloween. Anything can be sexy! Minions? Play-dough? Elmo’s World? You got it. Now Elmo has a mini skirt,  a bikini top and hoop earrings. But those are just the females. Although a wider variety, male choices are strictly for shock value and comedy. What ever happened to good costumes? Good luck finding a costume that won’t be offensive or sexualize a cartoon character.