Hillary Clinton fights for what matters to college students.

Americans are fortunate to have another opportunity to elect Hillary Clinton as President of the United States in 2016.

The field of democratic candidates is strong this year, but Hillary’s ideas stand out, especially in addressing problems within higher education.

While she maintains leads in most national polls, millennials tend to support “Feel-the-Bern” Sanders most vocally on social media campaigns and vote Sanders twice as much as Clinton in polls, according to CNN.

Populist rhetoric like that from Sanders may win over some in the short term, but it is not a substitute for the strong substantive leadership, shown by Clinton, needed for the long haul.  Populist demagoguery is not Hillary’s strong suit, but she understands the issues well and wants to find effective and efficient solutions.

Two serious problems that need to be highlighted are sexual assaults on college campuses and the rising cost of tuition.

Several sources including the National Sexual Violence Resource Center have found that an estimated one in five women have reported being sexually assaulted while in college. Great effort has been made at CSULB in recent years to fight this growing crisis, ranging from Title IX and consent workshops held on campus for students to bulletins alerting 49ers of reported assaults.

No candidate in the 2016 race has done more for women’s rights than Hillary Clinton.

She demanded action on opening up counseling/critical health services for survivors of sexual attacks and emphasized creating prevention programs nationwide. She firmly supported violence prevention programs that focus on subjects like consent and bystander intervention, in line with the steps our own campus has taken.  

Just like in the 2008 election, she is by far the most qualified candidate for the position, having devoted her life to public service as secretary of state, New York senator, first lady, and citizen’s rights advocate.

As first lady, she helped establish the Office on Violence Against Women within the Justice Department. As senator, she co-sponsored the 2005 reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act and advanced the CARE Act to ensure that rape and incest victims had access to emergency contraception in hospitals.

In response to the rise of sexual assault cases in the military, she introduced legislation to make emergency contraception available to the women who serve our country and promoted zero tolerance for military sexual assault and harassment through critical review and toughening of policies and protections.

As secretary of state, she called upon the worldwide community to fight violence against women. One of her biggest causes has been preventing the use of sexual violence as a “weapon of war.”

This is exactly what we as students need in addressing the sad reality of the times.  

That, and some help with tuition, student loans, and the almost certain promise of debt.

While at a campaign stop in New Hampshire, Clinton said, “No family or student should have to borrow to pay tuition at a public college or university and everyone who has student debt should be able to refinance at a lower rate.”

Hillary’s proposed $350 billion education plan, known as the New College Compact, is a step in the right direction for higher education.

The proposal would help millions pay for college and reduce interest rates for people who have already earned their degree and still have student loan debt.

Clinton wants debt-free tuition, but not free tuition overall, which would benefit rich students whose parents can already afford to send them to college. Her plan could help increase graduation rates by giving students easier budgets to work with while pursuing degrees, create incentives for states to spend more money on higher education, and would be fully paid for by reducing tax deductions for the wealthiest Americans.

Hillary is the only political candidate right now addressing these problems in depth and her ideas go hand in hand with what we as a school are trying to accomplish.

Val, a defense attorney should probably not laugh about someone you know as guilty passing a lie detector test- pretty insulting and insensitive to the little girl who was raped. I’d say someone who was about “women’s rights” would not do such a thing.

I also find it comical that you bring up Fox News. Fox was never mentioned in anything. Everything I stated was factual and well-noted. The Clinton Foundation is one of the most corrupt things and is filled with foreign interest including kings from countries that oppress women. I also suggest that you stop being a brainwashed zombie and stop believing everything your Hillary puppets tell you. She claims that every rape victim should be heard yet she did everything possible to silence her husband’s victims. There are as many women that make these claims as the ones who claim to be victim of Bill Cosby’s victims.

You also might call into question the ethics of someone when they have email controversy (huge deal), Benghazi, her ties to Wall-Street and the $6 BILLION THAT WENT MISSING FROM THE STATE DEPARTMENT UNDER HER WATCH.

I already know you’re not informed enough on these topics and you’ll stick your fingers in your ears like a toddler to stay misinformed.

Hillary is for women yet takes money from Saudi kings that oppress women? Hillary is for women even though she’s on audio from her days as a lawyer laughing about getting a rapist of a 12-year old girl off as not guilty. https://youtu.be/e2f13f2awK4

She’s for women even though she tried to silence every sexually assaulted victim of her husband?

Do you know the economical consequences of supposed “free college?”

• Avatar

A defense attorney is morally obligated to defend his/her client. The justice system would completely collapse otherwise. Everyone should be presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. What if inaccurate evidence was allowed in all criminal trials? Lawyers are supposed to defend their clients.

As for other outlandish conspiracy theories, If it’s spewed on FOX news it should be immediately called into question.