An open letter to homophobes

Do you ever wonder why gay clubs exist?

These places exist as a sort of safe haven — one where gay people can be themselves without worrying about “offending” or potentially angering anyone opposed to LGBT community members.

Although it’s not their intention to segregate themselves,  LGBT people are driven away to form their own establishments as a result of a discriminatory society.

What happened at the Pulse Orlando nightclub early Sunday morning was not only an attack on the LGBT community; it was an invasion of one of the few places in the city where gay people could get away from a world where homosexuality is profusely frowned upon.

If you are homophobic, it’s time to mature. It’s time to respect others who are different than you.

It’s time to respect the LGBT community and become the kind of person who fights hate instead of creating it.

Omar Mateen showed hostility towards gays before committing last Sunday’s atrocity, according to law enforcement officials and former co-workers. Making hateful remarks towards gays and expressing outrage towards LGBT community members who publicly displayed affection was something he did routinely.

Do you have something in common with him?

Mateen’s hate provoked him to plan and execute an attack at a gay establishment during the club’s Latin night, a popular event celebrating Latino culture which was hosted by transgender women. His goal was to murder as many community members at a given time — and he did.

Homophobia encourages those with a violent disposition to act on those prejudices.

When you are prejudiced towards the gay community, you share the same prejudice that Omar Mateen once did. When you feel hatred towards LGBT people, you share the same emotion that Omar Mateen held while killing 49 people and injuring 53 more. When you are disgusted by the sight of a same-sex couple, you share the same disgust that Omar Mateen had towards a minority group struggling to be respected and recognized in this “free” nation.

It’s been a few days since the shooting, and since then, reports insinuating that Mateen was actually a closeted homosexual have come to light.

Let’s say that the claims that Mateen was gay are true and the gunman was actually struggling with his sexuality, which led him to commit one of the worst mass shootings in US history.

Why would he hate himself so much?

Because of widespread homophobia in this country which didn’t allow him to live his life the way he wanted to in fear of being judged, rejected or possibly attacked.

Whether the Orlando gunman was gay or not — the act was homophobic.

Gay marriage was recently legalized nationwide, yes — but that does not mean that the country now entirely accepts LGBT people, and suicide rates of LGBT youth are proof of this.

LGBT youth are four times more likely, and questioning youth are three times more likely, to attempt suicide than their heterosexual peers, according to the Trevor project which is an organization that provides suicide prevention services for LGBT community members.

The Orlando shooting is only one of many crimes caused by homophobia. There have been thousands in the past few years. According to crime statistics gathered by the FBI, there were over 1,100 incidents involving crimes against LGBT people in 2014 alone.

Not to mention, the Southern Poverty Law Center has seen an increase in anti-LGBT hate groups, their numbers rising from 27 in 2011 to 48 in 2015.

Moreover, at nearly the same time that the news broke about the Orlando shooting, reports emerged of a man headed to the Los Angeles LGBT pride event. He was armed with assault weapons and said he wanted to “harm” the parade.

Your hatred towards LGBT people is no different than his, even if you don’t go out and plan attacks like him.

Your homophobic remarks, attitude and perspective on life creates a hostile environment not only for the LGBT community, but for the world around you. Why spread hate and ignorance when you can easily do the opposite?

Gay people go to gay clubs to embrace a key component of their identity in an establishment where it is seen as the norm whereas it is seen as distinct to society outside of the LGBT community.

People attend these places to be with their partners or friends and forget that they live in a world that constantly discriminates them.

Pulse nightclub was supposed to serve as a kind of haven last Sunday, but the night was violently interrupted by someone filled with a great deal of unnecessary anger and hate towards a people who meant him no harm.

Let’s make this nation — this world, even — a better place for all people, including LGBT community members.

It’s time to stand up against homophobia rather than cheering it on.