Come on LBSU, you pay for it you should use it

Looking at the cost of tuition can be scary, but often times we just attribute it to the fact that college is expensive without paying attention to what the money actually goes toward.

We are pushed into a frenzy to register for classes in an impacted college system, then have the added pressure of passing those classes while balancing work and family. And not to mention we’re broke because the tuition we pay for all of these stressful classes is expensive. But rather than complain about something we can’t change overnight, it’s more beneficial to take advantage of all the services that exist that we’re already paying for.

Instead of coming to class and heading back home right away, why not stop at any of the many services this campus offers? These services help with both our physical and mental well-being to make us the best and most productive students we can be.

Some services students tend to overlook are the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, the Office of Wellness and Health Promotion and Counseling and Psychological Services.

The SRWC seems like a no brainer. Not only does part of our tuition help fund it, but it’s a beautiful facility that holds so many different activities for students to get healthier.

In 2013, the SRWC was named eighth in the top 20 Most Impressive Gyms and Student Recreation Centers in the country by The Best Value Schools.

Instead of paying for a gym membership, students can access one of the finest gyms and rec centers in the country. Not to mention that they provide lots of exercise classes like Zumba and spin classes for students to be a part of. They even have massage therapists for a minimal fee, who wouldn’t want to experience that?

The Office of Wellness and Health Promotion provides appointments with health care professionals and a pharmacy with prices drastically lower than that of a normal pharmacy. For the majority of these services, they will not bill your insurance, so this can be a very valuable asset for those who can’t afford regular over-the-counter medications.

In addition to physical health, the university also offers counseling services. The goal of Counseling and Psychological Services, which is located in Brotman Hall in room 226, is to help students maintain a healthy mindset. It provides both group and individual counseling as well as programs and workshops for students.

Like all other services, we help pay for CAPS, so we shouldn’t be hesitant to take advantage of it.

CAPS also offers crisis management, which means dealing with emergency situations. You are able to walk in any time during business hours if you need immediate help or attention, or call after hours at (562) 985-4001. On the CAPS webpage, it also has numbers to various other important services such as campus police, the wellness center, suicide prevention and sexual assault hotlines.

On a campus as large as ours, it is crucial that services are available to those who need it. Life can get hectic and work, family and other personal engagements may stop students from getting familiar with these valuable on-campus services.

But you shouldn’t let a busy schedule stop you from making sure that you are a happy, healthy and mentally stable person. If you are not 100 percent, it is impossible to be giving your all in every other aspect of your life. Being aware of them and making sure we get our money’s worth as students to be mentally and physically healthy needs to be the number one priority.