Letters to the Editor

Letters to the editor-BLR = Being Literally Ruined!

Is the Beach Legacy Referendum really self-explanatory? Who does this referendum benefit? The answer is obvious; it will mainly profit Cal State Long Beach athletes. However, whose pockets will this affect? The BLR will distress everyone currently enrolled or planning to enroll.

How many are prepared to pay a fee increase? I doubt that everyone is in outstanding condition at this time to pay for something not everyone will use.

Students should be told the real details. With accurate background information — not some phony PR response — people will be more alert.

Those in favor are biased and assume this will benefit everyone. They feel students will enjoy this new fee, but who enjoys paying money they do not have? There are good and bad times for everything and this is possibly the worst time to pull more money from students.

With more financial issues arising, an unstable economy and widespread unemployment, who in their right mind decides now is a time to bring about something that will cause students and their families to struggle more? It’s difficult enough right now for many to pay regular tuition fees?

Although CSULB is said to be one of the most affordable colleges, it might still be expensive for some.

If there is to be a fee increase of any kind, it should be well worth the investment and help everyone, not just a few particular groups!

-Nancy Calix,

undeclared freshman

How about individuals who don’t receive financial aid, are under 24 years old, and are paying their own way for school? Although I truly believe that athletics are an important aspect of college and a number students the fee hike is much too high on top of the additional student recreation fee that will be added in the Fall.

We need to come to a reasonable compromise with ASI and the students to determine the best solution on who will bear the brunt of sustaining athletic programming at CSULB.

It’s about the principal. The athletic department wants my money for some elite athletes – NO WAY. Those athletes get enough goodies already, why should I give 10 hours of my work just so they can have a new track???
    ———————————————
    A lot of them aren’t even on full scholarship. would you be saying the same thing had this been the theater arts or music departments? at least make an attempt to understand their situation before you start making ignorant generalizations.

J*ck*sses

The sky is falling …. this is about long-term planning … this is about building a better university … Those who cannot truly afford it will receive increased financial aid … the sky is falling, so stand still and make no progress.