Editorials, Opinions

Our View: Community college degree plan prompts many questions

California community colleges may soon get the green light to offer four-year bachelor’s degrees, according to the Los Angeles Times.

A 16-member board comprised of community college administrators, faculty and a college trustee  is discussing whether the proposal is viable.

Once the board is finished, it will submit its findings to California Community Colleges Chancellor Brice Harris by the end of the year, according to the LA Times.

If this happens, California would become the 22nd U.S. state to grant community colleges the ability to give four-year degrees, according to the LA Times.

Not surprisingly, some have expressed opposition toward the preliminary plan.

According to the LA Times, some critics have said the plan opposes the mission of the bedrock of higher education in California: the 1960 Mission Plan for Higher Education.

According to the University of California, Berkeley website, community colleges were designed to prepare students to attend four-year universities. Providing bachelor’s and master’s degrees falls into the jurisdiction of the Cal State University and University of California systems.

While we understand the preliminary community college plan is in its infancy, we have some reservations.

If the plan is passed, will tuition rates rise at community colleges that offer four-year degree programs?

If the cost remains the same, students who want a more affordable education will most likely attend a community college that offers their program at much lower price than a CSU or UC campus.

We also wonder what kind of four-year programs could be offered at the community college level.

Offering four-year programs for impacted majors could help lessen overcrowding for similar programs on CSU and UC campuses.

With this potential change, we are open to the possibility of allowing greater access to the options of higher education.

After all, it’s clear the CSU and UC systems cannot adequately accommodate all Californians who want to earn four-year degrees.

While we support the idea of community colleges helping reduce enrollment demands, though, we don’t think they should be expected to provide most Californians with four year-degrees.

That job should be left to the CSU and UC systems.

Throughout the deliberation process, we hope the board will keep the interests of students in mind.

After all, we’re the ones who will be affected by the board’s decision.