Editorials, Opinions

Our View: LAUSD classroom changes unfairly hurt students

Weeks after it faced criticism for giving students district-issued iPads, the Los Angeles Unified School District is embroiled in controversy once again.

According to the Los Angeles Times, thousands of LAUSD students are being moved to new classes based on their proficiency in the English language. The move is occurring  two months into the school year.

Some LAUSD principals and parents of the affected students have protested the district’s decision. Petitions opposing the classroom changes have also been started and are now gathering signatures, according to the LA Times.

Segregating students based on their English-speaking level has was approved in LAUSD schools since 2000, according to the LA Times.

However, it hasn’t been fully enforced until recently.

Several researchers told the LA Times that separating students based on their English-speaking levels helps them achieve proficiency more quickly.

While we are receptive of the idea to separate students based on their English-speaking levels, we disagree with the district’s decision to separate students two months into the school year.

Yes, placing students with different levels of English language proficiency in the same classroom could interrupt both students’ learning processes.

But it’s only about two months into the school year. Students and teachers are just getting settled. Students are making friends and getting into their rhythm.

Shifting students around just two months into the school year must be uprooting those students’ learning experience.

The sudden classroom change could impact these students’ success rate. Going from one curriculum to another during the change could hurt a student’s ability to learn.

Instead of switching around thousands of students at one time, the LAUSD should narrowly tailor its efforts to each student’s needs. Ensuring that every student is put into the correct learning environment is essential.

Throughout this abrupt switch, we hope LAUSD students won’t be negatively affected.

We’re just glad we’re not the ones telling students they must leave their friends and teachers behind because of their English-speaking level.