Editorials, Opinions

Our View: Russia’s ban on swearing is a power move

This just in: the U.S. is not Russia. Shocked? Don’t be, and the two countries shouldn’t be compared as if their social and political standards are the same.

At least, that’s how we feel about the alarmed reaction that western world has had to the recent Russian censorship law. It appears that Russian President Vladimir Putin has implemented a measure that bans most, if not all, expletives in the arts. Al Jazeera reported that the law will be enforced starting July 1, although the specific curse words to be censored have not been disclosed.

This law is one of a series of steps that Russian leadership has taken to restrict the free speech of Russian citizens.

As Americans, this sounds oppressive. Of course we instinctively feel that this law cannot be tolerated by the international community. But is that fair?

We slowly came to realize that comparing our Western expectations of “free speech” to Russian policy is like comparing apples to oranges.

The political struggle that gave rise to the American democratic republic, as we know it, was one of state governments (more in line with a notion of individual freedoms) versus national government. Russia is not exactly known for that debate, in fact Russia is not known for having many debates — the government is simply in control, no question.

Russia’s recent laws to restrict free speech speaks more about political power, where the Russian people literally have no say in independent creativity.

It might be difficult for us, as Americans, to grasp living in a censored society and creating a parallel between Western culture and Russia is nearly impossible.

It’s a possibility that the new measures Putin is enacting in Russia, which involve several censorship laws, are a reflection of Russia attempting to make Russia into super force again.

Russia holds a lot more weight now and the moves Putin is making are pretty incredible in the influence he has over the Russian people and the power he has to sign off on things like this.

Unfortunately, the Russian government is like a bully, it seems they make these moves to show how powerful and influential they can be. This isn’t a reflection of what the Russian people want but is really what the Russian government wants.

Banning swearing is just another power move in censorship.