Former Dirtbag pitches older brother off team

It’s only business when a ballplayer gets replaced on a major league roster, but it is not often when a player replaces his older brother.

What most baseball analysts and fans thought to be a much-needed move actually took place on June 30, when the Angels designated right-handed pitcher Jeff Weaver to a minor league assignment, and replaced him with his younger brother Jered.

With a terrible first half in an Angels uniform (3-10, 6.29 ERA) it was a well-deserved transaction, but one Weaver at the expense of another? A veteran pitcher kicked out by a rookie pitcher from Long Beach State?

It’s true.

Jered not only replaced Jeff on the roster but also in the starting rotation. The Angels also sent Jeff and cash considerations to the St. Louis Cardinals for minor league pitcher Kyle Edens.

Jered’s pitching stats better than some participating in the Midsummer Classic, saying Jered pitched Jeff to St. Louis is not outrageous.

There is no doubt Jered has outdone his big brother in the majors this season, but his pre-major league stats are also as impressive, if not better. In two stints with the Triple-A Salt Lake Bees this season, Jered garnered a 6-1 record with a 1.99 ERA.

If it were up to me, I would have replaced Jeff for his younger brother three losses ago, but then again, you can’t just blame the pitching.

You can’t blame the Weavers, but for what it’s worth, keep family and business completely separated.

In baseball, it’s just business. In the Weaver family, it might also just be business. But to many, Jered not only proves to be the ace of the rotation, but a true Dirtbag – picking up where he left off at LBSU.

Mario Burciaga is a junior print journalism major and the assistant sports editor of the Summer Forty-Niner.