Men's Golf, Sports

Individual performances highlight golf action

Senior tops women’s field in Colorado

Senior All-American Kay Hoey is tied atop the leaderboard after the first day of the Heather Farr Memorial Invitational in Colorado on Monday.

Hoey shot a 7-under-par 65 in the first round and shares the lead with Notre Dame’s So-Hyun Park at 8-under-par 136.

In the team competition, No. 24 Long Beach State is tied for third with a 5-over-par 581 and trails the first-place Irish by 10 shots.

Freshman Lee Lopez finished the first round four shots off the pace and improved to the end day in fourth place with 5-under-par 139 — just three shots behind the leaders. Junior Brenda Chhuor (80-75) and sophomore Reina Rogers (75-80) are tied for 65th with an 11-over-par 155, while sophomore Erin Cylke (82-76) is tied for 87th.

The final round starts today at 7:30 a.m.

The women’s team’s next tournament will be the Edean Ihanfeldt Invitational from Monday-Wednesday, Oct. 6-8 in Sammamish, Wash.

Freshman leads men’s team after Day 1

Kevin Lim is tied for 11th place after shooting a 143, including a 71 in the second round of the Saint Mary’s Invitational at Pebble Beach on Monday.

As a team, LBSU finished the first day in 11th place with a combined score of 592, including a six-shot improvement and a 293 score in the second round. The University of San Francisco leads the tournament after shooting 572 (293-279) at the Poppy Hills Golf Course.

Sophomore Ricky Montanez shot a 1-under-par 70 to finish tied for third place after the opening round, but finished the first day one shot behind Lim to tie for 16th.

Among the other 49ers, junior Michael Drake (t-54th) improved by 12 shots in the second round and moved up from 81st place. Drake carded a 2-under-par 69 in the afternoon.

The men’s team’s next tournament will be the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate on Saturday and Sunday in Palm Desert.