Second-half goal tames Tigers in Big West match-up

The women’s soccer team won its second Big West Conference game, defeating the Pacific Tigers, 2-1, Sunday at George Allen Field.

“They’re an older, experienced team,” Pacific head coach Keith Coleman said. “They had the experience, which showed today.”

Long Beach State (8-3-2) scored 12:18 into the game when Hayley Bolt delivered her fourth goal of the year off a Sahar Haghdan bicycle kick.

LBSU head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said that his team “didn’t panic, and [was] able to keep the ball and had good movement.”

In the 58th minute, senior midfielder Kim Silos scored her fifth goal of the year on a 15-foot header.

“Honestly, I just controlled it in the air, and struck it with my left foot,” Silos said.

Coleman said, “With Sahar [Haghdan] doing bicycle kicks and Silos get the ball on her left foot, what can we do?”

Pacific scored its only goal in the 65th minute of the game when Kristina Wavomba headed Kylee Ah Choy’s pass into the net.

“We tried to pressure after the first goal,” Coleman said. “I am very happy with the team’s efforts.”

The Tigers had a game-tying opportunity nullified on an offside call with nine minutes left in the game.

“We bounced back from Friday’s game because we didn’t play ‘our game,'” Silos said. “Today we were able to play our game [ball speed, movement].”

The 49ers return to George Allen Field to host San Diego at 3 p.m. on Wednesday.