Men's Cross Country, Men's Volleyball, Sports

Sports Picks: Cross country wins team titles

Cross country

Men, women sweep team titles

Long Beach State’s cross country teams ran away from the field at the Santa Clara Invitational, nabbing the men’s and women’s titles on Saturday.

The women, which took first with 88 points, were led by senior Sarah Apgar, who crossed the finish line first overall with a personal best time of 17:14. Apgar shed seven seconds off her previous best of 17:21.

Senior Carly Harris clocked in at 17:50 for a 14th place finish. Other LBSU finishers in the top 20 were senior Kristina Wilson and junior Missy Barclay, who finished in 17th and 18th place respectively with a time of 17:56.

The men’s team took the team title with 76 points and were led by freshman Matt Maldonado, who finished 13th with a time of 24:57. Sophomore Travis Kuhlman posted a new personal best time of 25:02 to finish 14th. Freshman Raul Arcos was the third 49er to cross the finish line, clocking in at 25:20 to finish 19th.

The 49ers’ next race will be at the Titan Invitational in Fullerton on Friday.

Women’s volleyball

‘Niners split conference road matches

LBSU romped past UC Riverside, 25-18, 25-16, 25-15, Friday night behind outside hitter Quincy Verdin’s 14 kills and .480 hitting percentage.

Freshman outside hitter Caitlin Ledoux contributed 10 kills, while middle blocker Naomi Washington had nine. The Highlanders were held to .121 hitting and had 21 hitting errors for the match.

Last Thursday, the 49ers fell to UC Irvine, 20-25, 25-12, 25-23, 25-21.

Verdin tallied 16 kills, while Ledoux had 15, but LBSU did not have enough firepower to match the Anteaters’ attack.

UCI’s Lauren Kellerman had 21 kills and Kari Pestolesi added 16. The Anteaters hit .261 as a team to the 49ers’ .207.

LBSU (15-4, 5-2 Big West Conference) plays a home match against Notre Dame at 7 p.m. tomorrow night.