Men's Volleyball, Sports

A perfect night for the perfect team

The 1998 season saw tremendous success from the Long Beach State women’s volleyball team. A 36-0 record and LBSU’s fifth women’s volleyball title was only the icing on the cake.

Led by senior setter and NCAA Player of the Year Misty May-Treanor, LBSU became the first team in NCAA history to go undefeated. The team lost just eight sets under head coach and Hall of Fame inductee Brian Gimmillaro.

In honor of this great team, LBSU athletics hosted a 10th anniversary celebration at The Pointe in the Walter Pyramid Friday evening.

The team was greeted with much enthusiasm by those in attendance, including athletic director Vic Cegles and school President F. King Alexander. Gimmillaro introduced each team member and recounted memorable stories about the team to the community.

“It was such a magical year. The whole city was involved in that championship,” Gimmillaro said. “You have to remember your traditions at your school and some of the things that happened at your school that are uniquely yours. One of the things that’s uniquely ours at Long Beach State is the first undefeated NCAA championship.”

Tayyiba Haneef-Park, who played middle blocker for the 1998 team, enjoyed the reception and said that it “felt good” to be back at the Beach.

“It’s amazing to see everybody — where we were and how far we’ve come,” she said. We’ve always had amazing fan support, even when we were playing through good times and bad times. It’s always fun to come back because you know it’s going to be amazing support.”

Haneef-Park said that “desire” was the driving factor in the 1998 season.

“We said, ‘no matter what we’re ranked, we’re going to make it to the final and we’re going to win,'” she said.

Haneef-Park was also a part of the U.S. women’s volleyball team that won the silver medal in the recent Beijing Olympics.

“I’ve been able to travel to places like Turkey and Russia, and I’ve been in Japan for about three years,” she said. “The progress along the way led to the silver medal.”

Also present at the anniversary celebration was the two-time Olympic beach champion, May-Treanor, who is recovering from an Achilles’ injury. She enjoyed the celebration from her wheelchair with husband and Florida Marlins catcher Matt Treanor.

“I think it’s very unique for a team to get back together again and have a reunion. That’s how close our ‘98 team was,” May-Treanor said. “We still consider each other teammates and friends. It’s just nice to catch up and share that special feeling.”

Despite the injury, May-Treanor’s husband expressed the importance of LBSU volleyball in his wife’s life.

“She made sure she was going to be able to come and spend time with her teammates,” he said. “We have stuff all over our house from this team. It’s been a huge part of Misty’s life and I figure Long Beach — especially since we’re living right across the street now — will always be a part of our lives. She was looking forward to tonight for a long time.”

A season like the 1998 season happens once in a lifetime. The goals set by the team at the beginning paved the way for a special season, May-Treanor recalled.

“I knew from the get-go that the season was going to be special,” May-Treanor said.
“Everybody’s goal was to win a national championship. We carried that into practice and we were there to win.”

May-Treanor joked that one thing didn’t change in the 10 years: Gimmillaro’s appearance.

“He looks the same,” she said. “Does he have like a time machine?”

The team was also honored during intermission at Friday night’s volleyball game against UC Davis. Each team member was presented with flowers as her name and short biography was read to the 1,694 gathered at the Walter Pyramid.

The team spent the night catching up and reminiscing about that special season — a season to remember.

These ladies need to make this consisten play a habit. When UCI comes to town, do all of us a favor and knock them off their knickers for me.

Now.