Men's Water Polo, Sports

49er tennis trio headlines Sports Picks

Men’s water polo

Team drops matches in Palo Alto, Irvine

Despite getting on the board first, the No. 10 49ers were unable to pull an upset over No. 2 Stanford. LBSU fell to the Cardinal, 13-7, on Saturday in Palo Alto. Seniors Jake Kinne and Ash Blythen led the 49ers with two goals each.

Last Wednesday, Blythen had four goals to lead the 49ers in a 12-9 loss to UC Irvine. LBSU was down 11-4 at one point in the match before scoring five unanswered goals in the fourth period. The 49ers would not get any closer as the Anteaters netted the final goal of the period to seal the match.

The 49ers (9-11, 0-3 MPSF) were scheduled to play two matches today against No. 20 Air Force at 12:30 p.m. and No. 11 UC Davis at 4 p.m.

Women’s tennis

49ers send trio to semifinal matches

The doubles team of Hannah Grady and Stephanie Jeanes advanced to the main draw doubles semifinals to play Arizona State’s Micaela Hein and Kelcy McKenna on Sunday at the ITA Regional Championships in San Diego.

The duo defeated UC Santa Barbara’s Tova Hausman and Michelle Murphy, 8-5, in the round of 16 before dropping UNLV’s Anna Maskaljun and Alisa Razina, 9-7, in the quarterfinals. In singles action, Grady fell in the quarterfinal, 6-0, 6-2, to USC’s Maria Sanchez.

In the consolation bracket, Jeanes and Deborah Armstrong advance to Sunday’s semifinal round action. Jeanes defeated UCSB’s Natalia Lozano, 6-3, 6-1, while Armstrong defeated the University of San Diego’s Samantha Mouly, 6-2, 6-7 [5], 12-10, in their quarterfinal matches.