Baseball, Sports

Ruiz reigns over Rays, helps Phillies win wild Game 3

The Philadelphia Phillies took a 2-1 World Series lead Saturday as Carlos Ruiz’s walk-off hit ended Game 3 and beat the Tampa Bay Rays, 5-4, at Citizens Bank Park.

Tied at 4, Phillies reliever J.C. Romero retired the Rays’ in order to start the ninth inning.

In the bottom of the ninth, Ryan Bruntlett was hit by a J.P. Howell pitch, as the Phillies were able to get the winning run on base. Howell was replaced by Grant Balfour, who threw a wild pitch that got by Rays’ catcher Dioner Navarro allowing Bruntlett to advance to second.

Navarro tried to make a play at second and his throw was off target sending Bruntlett to third base with no outs. The Rays’ intentionally walked the next two batters and chose to pitch to Ruiz. The Phillies catcher was able to hit a dribbler to Rays’ third baseman Evan Longoria, who attempted to make the play at home plate but was unsuccessful.

The start of the game was delayed due to rain and did not start until 10:06 p.m. EST, the latest start time in World Series history.

Phillies starter Jamie Moyer, the second oldest pitcher to start a Series game, was sharp in 6 1/3 innings of work, allowing three runs on four hits while striking out five.

“It was a little tough trying to figure out when we were going to get started,” Moyer said. “But they gave us, both teams, plenty of advance notice to when the game was going to start and I was ready to go.”

Rays starting pitcher Matt Garza gave up four runs on six hits and struck out seven batters in six innings.

Jimmy Rollins, the Phillies leadoff man, started the game with a base hit and later scored on a Chase Utley ground out. Rollins was previously hitless in the Series, going 0-for-10 in the first two games. Garza looked shaky at times in the first inning but only gave up one run.

The Rays were able to tie the game in the second inning, as Rays left fielder Carl Crawford doubled, stole third base and scored on a sacrifice fly to center hit by Gabe Gross.

Ruiz hit a solo home run in the bottom of the second to put Philadelphia in front, 2-1. The Phillies catcher started a home run party as Chase Utley and Ryan Howard hit back-to-back homers in the sixth, becoming the first teammates to do so in the Series since 2002.

A questionable call at first base gave the Rays’ momentum in the seventh. Crawford was called safe on a bunt down the first base line. Replays showed Moyer scooped the ball to Howard, who made a bare-hand grab, before Crawford touched first base. The Rays took advantage and scored twice to make it a one-run game.

In the eighth inning, Tampa Bay center fielder B.J. Upton used his speed to almost single-handedly tie the game at 4. Upton hit a hard grounder to Rollins, and beat the throw to first base. Upton then stole second and, while stealing third, Ruiz made a throwing error allowing Upton to take home plate as well to even up the score.

Rays’ Manager Joe Maddon was happy with his team’s effort in the loss.

“The moment you start becoming afraid of making mistakes, you’re definitely setting yourself up for the loss,” Maddon said.

Longoria, who left Long Beach State after his junior year, remained hitless (0-for-12) in the Series, going 0-for-4 in Game 3.

Game 4 will be played Sunday with Andy Sonnanstine starting for Tampa Bay and Joe Blanton pitching for Philadelphia.