Ingrassia-led women’s soccer program arrives in national spotlight

LOS ANGELES — Long Beach State head coach Mauricio Ingrassia has taken the first step in turning the women’s soccer program into a national contender.

The 49ers, led by 11 seniors, eight of which comprise Ingrassia’s first recruiting class, lost 1-0 in the first round of their NCAA Women’s College Cup debut against the University of San Diego on Friday night.

The future of 49er soccer isn’t lost on the Big West Conference’s Coach of the Year, however.

“I think it’s huge to play in a game like this as underclassmen and play the way they played,” Ingrassia said. “This is going to be huge for their confidence and their development.”

While the 10-year soccer program is still trying to build a winning tradition on the national stage, Ingrassia already knows a thing or two about competing consistently in the postseason and avoiding any long rebuilding phases.

The fifth-year head coach came to The Beach after guiding nearby Long Beach City College to two national championships, five state titles and five South Coast Conference titles.

So far at LBSU, Ingrassia has compiled a 59-31-11 record, set a school-record in wins (14), guided the ‘Niners to their first regional and national rankings, won an unprecedented three consecutive Big West regular-season titles and led the program to its first-ever conference tournament win and finals appearance, in addition to the NCAA Tournament.

“[Ingrassia] was just really proud of us,” senior goalkeeper Liz Ramos said. “This program has a big-time future.”

As for the outgoing senior class, the early mornings and hard work don’t look so bad right now.

“That’s something I’m definitely going to miss; being at every practice, no matter what time it is in the morning,” an emotional Hayley Bolt said.

Ingrassia’s influence resonated in the early stages of the program’s facelift.

“I remember Mauricio calling me when I was a senior in high school,” Bolt recalled. “When he told me how it was a rebuilding program, I wanted to be a part of that so bad.

“He has completely changed this program around. He’s an amazing coach, he knows what he talks about. He eats, dreams, breathes soccer. He puts a lot of time and effort into it, and I have so much respect for him.”

As for the equally-emotional Ramos, she said the team has been her “family” the past four years.

“This has been the most rewarding thing that I’ve ever done in my life,” Ramos said.

Looking ahead, Ingrassia’s recruiting ability to replenish the talent pool has been a trademark since his LBCC days. He coached three National Players of the Year and nine All-Americans as the Vikings’ head coach.

Bolt will no longer appear in a 49er uniform, but sophomore midfielder Lindsay Bullock appears to be the new face of the program.

Despite losing his seniors, Ingrassia still has a young crop to build upon — specifically his sophomore class. Among the eight sophomores listed on the roster, six players — Kristen Kiefer, Bo Rael, twin sisters Grace and Caroline Shevlin, Chantel Hubbard and Bullock — all played significant roles or filled-in at one point in the season.

Bullock was also named to the All-Big West first-team, earned conference Midfielder of the Year honors and tied Bolt for the team lead with 10 goals. Meanwhile, Kiefer earned an all-conference honorable mention selection.

To add to Ingrassia’s battle-tested youth, freshmen Shawna Gordon, Nicole Hubbard and Marysol Rosas played crucial minutes this season. Hubbard’s play resulted in an All-Big West second-team selection, while Gordon walked away with an honorable mention nod.

Defenders Sarah Strohl and Jenn Brooks, along with forward Yeraldy Hurtado, will make up next season’s senior class.

The only real question mark will be unproven freshman goalkeeper Emily Kingsborough, who will replace seniors Breanna Truelove and starter Ramos.

That doesn’t even include Ingrassia’s incoming freshmen, which will remain an unknown until that first game at George Allen Field next season.

Bolt expects Ingrassia to continue to lead the 49ers to new heights and plans to be in the crowd to watch it all unfold.

“I know he’s going to take this program even farther. This is just the beginning,” Bolt said. “I feel like it’s going to continue building and growing, and pretty soon we’re going to make it to the second round, third round of the NCAAs.

“I’m going to be back watching in the stands and — if we especially establish a good alumni — I think this program is going to keep growing up and it’s going to be fun to watch.”

Well, I can concur that Mauricio got himself a reprieve and a lifeline from the invite. Aren’t you bloody lucky, Ingrassia…. So now it will be his responsibility to not rebuild but reload next season. One can only hope that next year will be the year that the wedding isn’t crashed at the last with the new group of freshmen coming through.

Godspeed and Go Beach, seniors. We salute your efforts during your stay here and wish you well.