Men's Volleyball, Sports

Freshman phenom headlines list of women’s volleyball honorees

The honors keep coming in for freshman Caitlin Ledoux.

The outside hitter was named the Big West Conference’s Freshman of the Year and was one of five Long Beach State players selected to the All-Big West first team on Tuesday.

Seniors Quincy Verdin and Nicole Vargas and juniors Brittney Herzog and Naomi Washington also were named to the All-Conference first team. This marks the first time that The Beach has had five first-team selections since its undefeated 1998 National Championship squad.

“It’s a big accomplishment for us, especially since it’s the first time we’ve been sole conference champions since 2001,” Vargas said.

Ledoux, who also made the Big West All-Freshman team, averaged 3.21 kills per set and has recorded nine double-doubles this season.

“It’s been really exciting. I didn’t even expect to play when I came here,” Ledoux said. “All of this is just extra. I’m just happy to be here and be apart of the team.

“And playing with Naomi and Nicole and Iris [Murray], it’s amazing.”

Earlier this season, Ledoux was named the Big West Player of the Week after collecting a career-high 22 kills and 14 digs against UC Santa Barbara on Oct. 11.

“I don’t even know of any freshmen in our conference [like] Caitlin, who’s doing an amazing job,” Washington said.

For Verdin, this marks her second appearance on the All-Conference first team. The senior is second on the team with 351 kills (3.16 per set).

“None of it would’ve been possible without the team,” Verdin said. “We really pulled it together and we’ve always had a great chemistry from the very beginning. I’m really happy for all who were selected for the first team, it was well deserved.”

Vargas makes her return to the first team after being named an honorable mention last season. The senior setter is averaging 10.28 assists per set.

Washington was selected to her first all-conference team after recording a team-high 106 blocks. She also ranked third in the conference with a .345 hitting percentage.

“It was kind of a surprise to me,” Washington said of the selection. “I didn’t even know until Brittney told everybody. It’s a plus for me, but I’m more happy for my teammates.”

Herzog, a junior transfer, posted a .362 hitting percentage, good enough for second in the conference.

“I came from Missouri, which I can’t really say isn’t a good volleyball school, but I’ve always heard California volleyball is a lot better,” Herzog said. “That’s one reason I came here because Brian [Gimmillaro] told me from the beginning that he would make me a great player and the best player I wanted to be.”

Absent from the first team, and the honorable mention selections, was senior libero Iris Murray. However, all five first-team selections didn’t forget the contribution their teammate made.

“Iris should’ve been one of them,” Verdin said.

Added Washington, “Who I was expecting [to be named] was Iris.”

Murray tallied a team-high 449 digs and her 4.05 digs per set ranked fourth in the conference.

CS Fullerton’s Brittany Moore was named the Big West Player of the Year. Head coach Charlie Brande of UC Irvine, who is retiring after the season, earned the Big West Coach of the Year award.