Sports, Women's Basketball

Jacob’s career-high 30 points not enough

Long Beach State junior guard Courtney Jacob set a new career high, nearly recorded a triple-double and it still wasn’t enough for the women’s basketball team Monday night.

The 49ers dropped an 83-63 decision to host Loyola Marymount at Gersten Pavilion in Los Angeles.

Jacob scored a personal-best 30 points, pulled down nine rebounds and dished out six assists. The junior, who shot 10-of-18 from the field and 6-of-12 from 3-point range, became the first 49er to score 30 points in a game since Glory Johnson reached the mark in 2003.

Junior Whitney Fields added her first career double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds. Freshman guard Adelle Walton chipped in with six points, five rebounds and five assists.

LBSU (1-2) fell behind early when LMU used a 19-2 run to take a 36-17 lead. The Beach went four minutes without a basket until Fields nailed a jumper with 6:29 left in the first half.

Jacob helped the ‘Niners close the half on a 13-4 run, pouring in 11 points over the final 3:53, but LBSU still trailed 49-32 at the break.

The Lions (3-1) torched the 49ers’ defense, shooting 51.2 percent from the field compared to the visitors’ 36.1 percent. LMU controlled the points in the paint, 34-7, and scored 22 points off turnovers while allowing zero.

LBSU cut the deficit to seven on a pair of free throws by Lynea Williams to cap an 11-2 run with 7:36 remaining but wouldn’t get any closer.

Three players scored in double figures to pace the Lions, led by Lisa Helmers’ 23 points. Alex Cowling posted a double-double with 19 points and 12 rebounds, while Cassady Moore netted 12.

The 49ers return to action against Portland State on Monday, Dec. 1 at the Walter Pyramid. Tip-off is at 7 p.m.