Rivalry gives new meaning to Black and Blue beating

The Yanks and BoSox, Celtics and Lakers, Packers and Bears, Ali and Frazier; these are some of professional sports’ greatest rivalries.

Long Beach State has its own rivalry with UC-Irvine in the aptly dubbed “Black and Blue Rivalry Series.”

The Black and Blue Rivalry, which was created in 2005 to generate interest in the athletic programs for both schools, went in favor of the Anteaters last year, 33-14. The winner of the series each year gets a surfboard trophy supplied by Duke’s restaurant in Huntington Beach.

LBSU has long had a rivalry with UCI as well as nearby CS Fullerton, but with the inception of the Black and Blue Rivalry, the intensity has heated up between the teams.

“They beat us pretty bad at their house, and it was embarrassing. We wanted to show that we are better. There is definitely more emotion in these games,” freshman Caitlin Ledoux said after the women’s volleyball team defeated the Anteaters in five sets Nov. 12.

Although sports rivalries can be filled with immense passion between teams and athletes, there is also usually an underlying mutual respect for one another. This is the case for women’s volleyball coach Brian Gimmillaro, who views the rivalry with UCI on a more personal level.

Gimmillaro has coached against Anteaters head coach Charlie Brande “since we were young guys.”

“He’s a friend of mine, and I have a great deal of respect for him,” Gimmillaro said.

Even though teams in rivalries tend to have animosity towards each other, usually generated by the fans of the squads, Gimmillaro doesn’t think the UCI-LBSU rivalry is ill willed.

“I don’t think there is anything unfriendly about the rivalry,” Gimmillaro said. “All I know is we get a free dinner … it’s much more of a rivalry when there’s a dinner on the line.”

Filled with intense competition, rivalry games tend to bring the best out of athletes and their teams regardless of where they may sit in the standings. In a rivalry game, anything goes and athletes dig deep to give a little bit extra knowing there is much more than just a loss at stake. There is pride, and maybe a free dinner.

While the “Black and Blue Rivalry” is no Yankees-Red Sox, as long as the UCI fight song still contains the line, “Long Beach State will soon be routed,” the rivalry doesn’t look like it will be ending anytime soon.

The first two years I was a student, we took the surfboard. Last year, a number of our teams (specifically golf, water polo, men’s volleyball and basketball) did not pull their weight and as a result, UCI took home the board for the first time. This is a great rivalry, and us Black and Gold brethren will be keen to grab it back.