Men's Volleyball, Sports

Women’s volleyball peaking at the right time

The regular season finale at the Pyramid last Saturday night between Long Beach State and the No. 19-ranked Colorado State Rams featured two teams heading in opposite directions before the start of the NCAA Tournament.

Fortunately for ‘Niners fans, momentum is wearing a black and gold jersey.

While CSU ended its regular season with a three-match losing-skid, LBSU has won 11 of its last 12 matches, including the 3-1 win in which it held the Rams to .197 hitting.

Senior libero Iris Murray made her final home match one to remember — and the Big West Conference’s decision to leave her off the All-Conference first team, one it must regret.

Murray posted 12 digs in the match, some of which allowed the 49ers to maintain a run in the lopsided third set, where they held the Rams to four kills and -.059 hitting.

“For me, there’s no more volleyball [after college],” Murray said. “So I want to win my last game.”

Caitlin Ledoux was limited to .214 hitting through two sets, but eventually found her rhythm in the ‘Niners 25-13 third-set romp to finish with 14 kills.

Early on, the Rams set up their block efficiently every time the Big West Freshman of the Year came to the net, but a balanced 49er attack that included middle blocker Naomi Washington and outsider hitter Quincy Verdin chipping in 14 kills apiece, allowed them to offset CSU’s defensive game plan.

Fellow freshman, setter Cat Highmark, also had a strong match, tallying 10 digs to go along with nine kills and three assists. Highmark’s development at the outsider hitter position, which she has occupied ever since the season-ending injury to Ashley Lee, could play a key role in determining how far the ‘Niners go in the Big Dance.

Head coach Brian Gimmillaro said he does not expect nerves to affect his freshmen heading into their first NCAA tournament match.

“I want them to come out and play hard,” he said. “They’ve got 30 games under their belts. They’re not freshmen anymore.”

Another question to ponder is which LBSU team will show up come match night.

In addition to the win over the Rams, the 49ers have toppled nationally-ranked opponents like Santa Clara, along with a Central Coast sweep at Cal Poly and UC Santa Barbara. They also took No. 14 Florida to the limit in Gainesville, Fla. before falling in the fifth set.

On the other hand, LBSU has experienced letdowns at the hands of Big West doormat CS Northridge, and also has been swept by Pacific and Santa Clara. However, the ‘Niners boast a 7-2 record in five-set matches this season, which should make them battle-tested for the high-pressure tournament atmosphere.

The senior trio of Murray, Verdin and Nicole Vargas should provide veteran leadership in what is their final tournament go-around.

“Being a senior now, I want to get past the second round so bad and go as far as we can,” Vargas said.

LBSU’s recent string of second-round shortcomings is not lost on Verdin. A deep NCAA run could be the perfect way to cap off a decorated career.

“You’re never done accomplishing things,” she said. “Once I accomplish something, I need to accomplish something else. I’m not done yet.”

Will we stay at Wally’s House? Or are we heading to Pauley? Or Galen? Or the Stan Sheriff Center?
    North? East? West? South? We don’t care, we’re going dancing. Again.

Stay tuned. On Daily49er.com.