Sports Picks: Women tennis inks recruit for 2010

Women’s tennis

‘Niners ink recruit for 2010

The 49er women’s tennis announced that Anna Jeczmionka has signed a national letter of intent for the 2009-10 season. Jeczmionka is the No. 5-ranked U18 junior in Poland. She has reached five national tournament singles finals in Poland, winning one title. She also has won five doubles titles in Polish national-level tournaments.

College football

USC to trade in timeouts for red uniforms

Trojan head coach Pete Carroll said he is willing to give up one timeout to wear cardinal red uniforms for the team’s road game against rival UCLA on Saturday. NCAA rules state that the road team must wear white. Carroll stated that he wants to restore the rivalry’s tradition of having the schools wear home uniforms for their annual showdown. The last time both teams played in home uniforms — USC in red, UCLA in blue — was in 1982, when they shared the Los Angeles Coliseum.

NFL

Giants WR suspended 4 games

Plaxico Burress was fined and suspended for the rest of the regular season by the New York Giants on Tuesday. Burress accidentally shot himself in the right thigh at a Manhattan nightclub over the weekend. He was also placed on the reserve non-football injury list, meaning Burress won’t return for the playoffs. Burress was charged with an illegal weapons possession and could face 3 1/2 to 15 years in prison, if convicted.

NBA

‘Starbury’ banished from Knicks

Disgruntled point guard Stephon Marbury was told to stay away from the New York Knicks until the team finds a way to get rid of him. Marbury and Knicks president Donnie Walsh couldn’t agree on a buyout. Marbury and head coach Mike D’Antoni, who were together briefly with the Phoenix Suns, have feuded since the season began over the guard’s role on the team.