Men's Volleyball, Sports

Women’s volleyball confirms two hirings

Long Beach State women’s volleyball announced that Erika Chidester and Matt Ulmer have been named as new assistants for the 2009 season.

“Both Erika and Matt are bright, enthusiastic young people who are very knowledgeable in the game of volleyball,” head coach Brian Gimmillaro said in a press release. “Current and future players here will benefit from their care and concern for the development of the skills necessary to succeed on the court and beyond.”

Chidester, a former Beach standout, earned All-Region honors in 2003 and 2005, to go along with All-Big West honors in 2002, 2003 and 2005. She used a medical redshirt for the 2004 season.

As a freshman in 2001, Chidester played for a 49er team that made it to the national championship game before falling to Stanford, 3-0.

After her playing days at LBSU, Chidester spent the last two years as a graduate assistant at the University of La Verne, making the NCAA tournament in both seasons. The Leopards advanced to the NCAA Division III national championship game this past season, falling to Emory, 3-1.

She has also worked as an assistant at Lakewood High School and coached at the club level with Golden West and Cal Juniors.

Ulmer, a volunteer assistant for the past two seasons, will be promoted to the second assistant position, where he will help with recruiting and on-court instruction. Ulmer was an All-American setter at Division III Carthage, where he was also an assistant on the women’s team.

He has spent the last two seasons coaching Cal Juniors, helping the club earn two All-American selections and a bronze medal in the Junior Olympics.

Both assistants were selected to replace Debbie Green, who retired after 23 years, and Melissa Ohta, who moved to Arizona for personal reasons.

Assistant sports editor Danny Lee contributed to this report.