Men's Water Polo, Softball, Sports

Softball tournament highlights Sports Picks

Softball

‘Niners capitalize on four errors for comeback win

The 49er softball team (7-7) wrapped up the University of San Diego Tournament with a 4-1 win as four Colorado State errors led to four ‘Niners runs.

Third baseman Jennifer Griffin reached base on an error and later scored on a Rams throwing error. Another Colorado State error put runners on the corner for LBSU, allowing shortstop Ashley Levine to drive in catcher Kristen Pocock with an RBI single.

The ‘Niners tacked on two more runs for insurance.

Freshman Taylor Petty (3-0) pitched three innings of relief to pick up the win.

In Saturday action, LBSU blanked the San Diego Toreros, 1-0, before dropping the Boise State Broncos, 3-1.

Petty collected the win against San Diego in her first collegiate start.

Left fielder Ashley Weber drove in the game’s lone run.

LBSU defeated Boise State in the nightcap behind sophomore Brooke Turner’s (4-3) seven strikeouts.

Right fielder Danielle Linke went 2-for-3 with a pair of RBI to pace the ‘Niner offense.

The 49ers’ two losses in the three-day tournament came on Friday with a 1-0 defeat to the Rams and a 5-3 loss against Boise State.

Women’s water polo

LBSU ripped by Bruins, lose in OT to Anteaters

Long Beach State dropped its two opening day matches at the UC Irvine Invitational.

The 49ers lost, 18-2, to UCLA and, 7-6, to UC Irvine in overtime.

For the ‘Niners, Krizia Cerda and Lauren Sieprath scored the lone goals against UCLA. The loss put them in the back of the draw for the tournament, causing them to square off against UCI.

Cecilia Canetti and Sieprath led the way against UCI, scoring two goals apiece for LBSU.

The Beach fought its way back from a one-goal deficit at the half and took a 6-4 lead in the final period. But the Anteaters tied it up in the fourth period and scored the lone goal in OT to win.

LBSU was scheduled to continue action Sunday at 10:30 a.m. against UC Santa Barbara, before playing an unannounced opponent to close the tournament.