Baseball, Sports

LBSU drops back-to-back contests to Cal

The hits keep coming, but so do the errors and wild pitches.

The Long Beach State Dirtbags were defeated, 9-6, at the hands of the University of California Golden Bears in front of 1,090 at Blair Field on Saturday.

“Defensively, we obviously need to cut those errors out, but offensively we’re doing a good job right now,” Dirtbags shortstop Devin Lohman said.

The error count dropped from five on Friday night to three on Saturday. But the team has 12 total errors on the season.

Dirtbags reliever Andrew Gagnon (0-1) had a rough go with two outs in the eighth, throwing his second wild pitch of the game to extend the lead to 8-6.

Michael Brady, who scored the run, reached base by sending a two-out triple to the right field wall.

The Golden Bears (5-2) tacked on another after an RBI double by Mark Canha.

Head coach Mike Weathers was satisfied with Gangon’s outing, though.

“He looked really good. I felt really good about having him in the game,” Weathers said. “[He gave] us a chance to win and he did that.”

Gagnon pitched 5 1/3 innings, allowing three runs while striking out five.

His counterpart reliever, Stephen Pistoresi (1-0), picked up the win for Cal after entering the ballgame in the third.

Cal starting pitcher Blake Smith was yanked from the contest after 2 1/3 innings, allowing three earned runs and five walks while notching three strikeouts.

LBSU (2-4) had multiple opportunities to come back. The team’s final chance came in the ninth with runners on second and third with two outs.

However, Bears pitcher Erik Johnson got out of the inning to record the save.

Arguably their best chance was in the eighth when Lohman hammered a one-out double down the left field line.

But the Dirtbags bats were silenced, leaving the Bears unscathed.

Lohman went 3-for-3 on the day with a home run.

“We’re doing a lot right now. I feel like we’re hitting the ball really well,” Lohman said. “We’re going to have games like this.”

Cal first took the eventual game-deciding lead in the fifth after Gagnon issued a wild pitch.

The 6-foot-2 righty pitched himself into trouble early in the inning, giving up singles to Danny Oh and Canha. A sacrifice bunt by Matt Flemer advanced the runners.

LBSU was down four in the bottom of the third, but behind Derek Legg and TJ Mittelstaedt they knotted it at 6.

Legg tied the game by roping an RBI double off Golden Bears reliever Dixon Anderson. One batter earlier, Mittelstaedt rolled a two-run single to left to bring the Dirtbags within one.

Overall, Mittelstaedt had another strong game, posting two RBIs on 1-for-4 hitting.

Cal’s offense flustered starting pitcher Jeff Lease early, chasing him after just 2/3 of an inning. He finished with two strikeouts and gave up two earned runs.

“Our pitching has not been good. It is an area of concern,” Weathers said. “We’re hoping to find another starter. I think we have [Adam] Wilk, [Jake] Thompson, and Gagnon after today.”

Already up three, Bears first baseman Flemer singled to center to Smith home and push Oh to third.

Oh reached first after a botched ball by Legg, allowing Dylan Tonneson to score.

But the Dirtbags fought back in the bottom half, scoring two.

LBSU center fielder Jonathan Jones slapped a single to center, bringing around a runner. Moments earlier, Taylor Krick bunted for an RBI single.

With the bases loaded in the bottom of the second, the Dirtbags had the opportunity to get more runs on the board.

However, Smith had another idea, getting Matt Avery to strike out on a high fastball.

Brett Jackson — who went 3-for-5 with an RBI — added to the hit parade in the top of the third, bringing Oh around to score. Oh led off the inning with a stand-up triple and also went 3-for-5.

The series wraps up on Sunday at Blair Field. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.

JR Salazar

Be honest, boys. You were NOT ready for Cal.
    Live and learn.