Sports, Women's Basketball

Hegarty, LBSU part ways

Long Beach State women’s head basketball coach Mary Hegarty won’t be back for another season with the team, she said in an e-mail Wednesday.

Athletic Director Vic Cegles has decided not to renew her six-year contract that expired at the end of this season.

A meeting between the coach and athletic director occurred Tuesday. The search for a replacement has not yet begun.

Hegarty went 4-12 in the Big West Conference and 8-21 overall during her final year at The Beach. The team’s three straight losses to end the season left them out of the Big West Tournament.

Hegarty dealt with key injuries throughout her final season with the team. Senior Karina Figueroa and junior Sahfiya Brown were out for the season, both players red-shirted.

“I had hoped that the significant injuries to my squad might be considered in the decision,” Hegarty said.

Cegles thought it was time to find new leadership for the team.

“We thank Hegarty for her dedication … it’s not all about Ws and Ls,” Cegles said. “Overall, I felt that it was time to make a change.”

She had an overall record of 77-99. Hegarty was hired in 2003 after nine straight winning seasons at Chapman.

Hegarty said, “I’m grateful to Dr. [F. King] Alexander and Cindy [Masner] and Vic for the opportunity I had. I wish CSULB the best in the future.”

What is BLR?

Joan’s time at Arizona was not all roses. Lots of offcourt issues and diminished recruiting over her last several years and she left the new staff an enormous mess on and off the court. Even whn they were einning there were suspentions and transfers. Look closely before you try to recapture the past with someone who isn’t the same coach in a game that isn’t like it was back then. Just say “thanks for the memories”!

beachqueen

Before you go after Joan why was she fired? Best be sure that she has been compliant ALL these years!!! Cegles is planning on BLR passing so he can use it as a chip for a new hire. Problem is can he learn to balance a budget and fund the women’s teams equally? He hasn’t yet so what can we expect? He’ll hire another male coach to fit into his good ole boy club! What is the SWA doing about this? Oh yeah, sill sitting by and buying into the good ole boy plan. Talk about a need for NEW input!!!

I endorse the BLR. Bring it, trolls.

Joan Bonvicinni is available, she was fired from U of Arizona in 2008 after going 10-20 in her final year with the team.
    The coach has 612 career wins and had a 325-71record in her tenure at Long Beach.
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    Hmm..do I see a Monson-esque program revival on the women’s side?

Is Joan Bonvicinni available? The former LBSU women’s basketball coach guided the Forty Niners to consecutive Final Four appearances in 1987/88.

Yo said it, Jose! And csulb realist should realize that results DO determine whether coaches stay or go. As shown.
    That being said, this has to be the biggest victory of the season for the ladies, everyone (if symbolically). I’m still a bit tipsy from hearing the news.
    GO BEACH!!!! Oh yeah!

SF ’07

csulb realist

Cegles is almost an F_ _ King liar that “it’s not all about the Ws and Ls.” It’s all about the Ws when you coach at this F_ _ King institution. Many of us greatly appreciate the job you’ve done, Mary. It’s too bad you picked a fickle career at an institution where F_ _ King iron fingerprints are oppression galore, just like the BLR. Good luck in la manana.

through it all, hegarty has been a class act. best of luck in your future endeavors, coach.

yes or no, vote on the BLR!

Jose Jimenez

Whoppeee!!!!!!