It’s game time: LBSU to face Pacific in Big West semis

The 49ers seek third win over Tigers to advance to finals

Maurice Clady (20), T.J. Robinson (15) and the rest of the No. 2 Long Beach State men's basketball team will face the No. 3 Pacific Tigers in the semifinals of the Big West Conference Tournament at the Anaheim Convention Center on Friday night. Tip-off is scheduled for approximately 8 p.m. and will be televised on ESPNU. The 49ers defeated the Tigers in both regular-season meetings this season.

Anthony Ibarra

Anthony Ibarra

Anthony Ibarra

Tucker Savoye, Staff writer

Long Beach State finally has an opponent for its semifinal game in the Big West Conference Tournament at the Anaheim Convention Center.

With a 67-60 win over UC Davis, the third-seeded Pacific Tigers earned a date with the No. 2 ‘Niners Friday night. The game will be broadcast on ESPNU with tip-off scheduled at approximately 8 p.m.

Long Beach (15-14) swept Pacific in the regular season, winning 74-64 on the road and eeking out a double overtime thriller, 81-80, almost five weeks ago.

“I think Long Beach handled us [at home],” Pacific head coach Bob Thomason said via conference call Monday. “It was a back and forth game (at The Pyramid) that could have gone either way.”

The Beach has its work cut out for them against a balanced Pacific attack that is laden with senior leadership and peaking at the right time. The Tigers (18-11) are riding a four-game win streak into this contest.

LBSU hasn’t played since a heartbreaking loss to UC Santa Barbara at the Thunderdome last Saturday night.

The Gauchos’ 3-ponter at the buzzer sent them to a 76-75 win and denied the 49ers a share of the conference title, a No. 1 seed and a spot in the NIT.

In the other semifinal match-up, top-seeded Cal State Northridge (15-13) will take on No. 4 UCSB at 5:30 p.m. on ESPNU.

The Gauchos (16-14) defeated No. 7 Cal State Fullerton, 73-64, Thursday night.