Men's Basketball, Sports

Sizing up the 65-team NCAA men’s basketball tournament field

Just because the 49ers aren’t in the NCAA Tournament doesn’t mean that March Madness hasn’t hit a fever pitch in the newsroom. Sports editor Tracy McDannald, assistant sports editor Danny Lee and staff writer Matt Moreno discuss their tournament picks in this edition of Beach Banter. To compete against members of the Daily Forty-Niner staff and for a shot at $100 million, click here.

Danny Lee: Let’s start with the local teams. What do you think of UCLA? I have them going down to VCU in the first round.

Matt Moreno: Everyone’s saying that’s going to be the big upset, but I don’t think it’s going to happen. They’ve got three seniors and have been to three Final Fours.

Tracy McDannald: Last year, it was VCU and Duke. Everyone was calling it.

MM: They can’t do it two years in a row.

TM: I look at UCLA lately, and they just don’t look as strong as last year. Especially with what happened in the conference tournament.

DL: Eric Maynor. Don’t forget about him.

TM: Yeah, you saw what he did to Duke last year. Aside from the fact that I hate UCLA …

MM: I just don’t understand why he hates them so much.

TM:
I grew up just to hate UCLA. And when you’ve got a team that’s been reeling, you’ll never know what the hell is going to happen.

DL: How about USC? They’re riding high after winning the conference tournament. Beating a team that has a potential Top-5 NBA pick in James Harden has got to make them feel confident.

TM:
I got them in the Sweet 16. When it comes to basketball, when you’ve got the best player on the floor, it’s a powerful thing. Momentum at this time of year: USC has it, and sometimes that’s all it takes.

MM: I have them beating Boston College, but I have them losing to Michigan State in the second round. You’re going to overlook the rest of the season just because they got hot at the tournament?

TM: I’ve got USC and Western Kentucky as the lowest seeds to make the Sweet 16. For my sleeper, I’ve got Texas in the Final Four. I have UConn and Pitt losing in the Elite Eight.

DL: I have Memphis beating UConn to make it to the Final Four.

TM: Also, let’s face it. Duke’s not exactly scary. Texas, while they’re not the most talented team, they’ve got one of the easiest roads until the Elite Eight.

MM:
I have UNC and Louisville going down. Oklahoma’s been the most consistent. The only time they’ve struggled was when Blake Griffin was out.

TM: I think he’s going to give Tyler Hansbrough problems, but then you’ve got Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington. I just think they have a little more talent.

MM: Let’s talk about Temple vs. Arizona State. I saw Dionte Christmas first-hand and I see what he can do.

TM:
Yeah, that dude can ball. It’s a coin flip. I have ASU, but I’m just not confident in it.

MM: Temple’s beaten some big teams.

DL: Yeah, but they also lost to us. How about Cal State Northridge? It’s a nice feel-good story with everything they’ve been through, but they should be happy just to be in.

TM:
Enjoy the first six competitive minutes, but prepare to get killed.

MM: You think they’ll give up 100?

TM: Yeah, they will.

DL: Who’s your national champion?

TM: North Carolina. Senior leadership.

MM: I have Michigan State. They flew under the radar most of the season. Kansas won it last year and everyone was picking Memphis. I would like nothing better than to see North Carolina lose. I hate them more than Duke. I hate Roy Williams and I hate Tyler Hansbrough …

TM:
ESPN loves him. He’s a hard worker and a good guy.

MM: The greatest sight was to see him with his nose all bloody and him crying.