Men's Track & Field, Sports

Three senior ‘Niners running the extra distance

The Jack Rose Track was a bit noisy for it to be a regular day of track practice.

As the women’s distance team rounded the track, loud chants of support rose from several of the runners: “Good job ladies. Finish strong!”

It wasn’t hard to notice that the three athletes who were receiving and leading most of the cheers were seniors Kristina Wilson, Sarah Apgar and Carly Harris.

Although track and field is essentially an individual sport, the three seniors have run the extra distance, leading by example with their success and dedication to the program. Distance coach Patrick Cunniff believes the trio has become the foundation of both the men’s and women’s distance team.

“Through their success and through their attitudes, they help our entire program, including the guys’ side,” Cunniff said. “Not only are they having success on the track, but everything about them permeates our program and helps make everything better.”

All three athletes play a significant role in encouraging their teammates to perform highly.

“They’ve all set the example and reached out to the other girls and tried to help them improve,” Cunniff said about the trio. “That builds the cycle where the other girls want to see them improve, too.”

Of the three runners, Wilson is the only one who has run for LBSU since her freshman year. She has been a top-five cross country runner for the 49ers during all four years. She is also the best LBSU athlete in the 10,000-meter run, the longest event on the track.

Wilson believes it is necessary to be a leader to the younger players because she remembers how scared she was when she was a freshman.

“I had a few seniors that were like motherly figures to me and I try to pass that on to the freshmen now,” Wilson said. “Not just hearing [encouragement] from a coach, but hearing that from someone that is actually going through it with you probably impacts them more.”

Wilson’s teammate Apgar also contributes a lot to the program. Apgar transferred from Southwestern Community College and quickly became a top runner and leader for the 49ers.

“Sarah was our No. 1 runner in every cross country meet for two full years,” Cunniff said. “She could have easily said, ‘I don’t have time for the girl running 20 minutes,’ but she really wants to see the girls improve.”

Apgar feels it is important to set the bar to help younger players transition into the collegiate level so they know what to do when the seniors graduate.

“[Being captain] is a good opportunity for us to show our experience, not just on the track, but also by letting the girls know they can talk to us about anything,” Apgar said.

Apgar and Harris were elected captains for the cross country and distance team this school year. Both have left their names in the school record books in the distance medley.

Harris also transferred to LBSU to become an impact athlete. She came from Santa Barbara City College and gradually made a huge difference on and off the track.

“Carly is roommates with a couple girls. Her sister also came on our team because she really liked the atmosphere,” Cunniff said. “Carly is somebody who really reaches out to the other girls.”

Harris has had a breakout year in both cross country and track and field. She just recently set a 5,000-meter regional qualifier mark that put her No. 2 in school history. She also holds the school record in the 3,000 meters.

The three seniors’ leadership has inspired the freshman runners.

“The way they lead the team with their dedication and commitment to the sport really helps the freshmen,” runner Stacey Flores said. “You can definitely tell their leadership has a huge effect on the team because we’ve gotten so far in training.”

All three runners set great marks at the last two track meets.

Despite having tendonitis in her knee, Apgar finished eighth at the Stanford Invitational in her 5,000m section at 17:21.03.

Harris set her second NCAA Regional mark, as she took second in the 3,000m steeplechase at the Big West Challenge. Her time of 10:34.60 was the second fastest in school history and the 24th-fastest in all of Division I this season.

Wilson also did well at the Big West Challenge, winning the 3,000m event with a lifetime best of 9:54.75.

LBSU continues its season today and tomorrow at the Mt. San Antonio College relays, where the trio will race in the 5,000 meters. LBSU will also host the Beach Invitational at Cerritos College Saturday.

Marcus Glasgow

Well done, keep it up! Go Beach!

Elizabeth Munoz

Go Sara!!!!
    yeea nice job:)
    hope to see you soon! we miss you in san diego!

yay finally notice the track athletes! great job Isis! 🙂

this was an excellent article. well written and inspiring. Go Beach

Great article !