Men's Track & Field, Men's Volleyball, Men's Water Polo, Sports

Sports Picks: 3 track athletes reach NCAA qualifying marks

Track and field

NCAA qualifying marks reached

Three ‘Niner athletes set NCAA West Regional qualifying marks at the meet. Junior Colin Dunbar set an NCAA Regional qualifying mark in the hammer throw with a distance of 190-10. Senior Patrick Smith set a personal-record 203-03 in the javelin. Junior Kenneth Medwood won the 400-meter hurdles in 51.30 seconds.

Men’s volleyball

Riley helps LBSU clinch No. 7 seed

Josh Riley collected his first career double-double in Long Beach State’s 28-30, 30-26, 31-29, 30-28 win over host UC San Diego on Friday. Riley finished with 17 kills and a career-high 14 digs to help the 49ers (14-13, 11-11 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) secure the No. 7 seed in the upcoming MPSF Tournament. The Beach will play No. 2 Pepperdine in the quarterfinals Saturday in Malibu at 7 p.m. The Waves, who are 2-0 against the 49ers this season, ended LBSU’s run last year in the NCAA Final Four.

Women’s water polo

‘Niners fall to USC on Senior Day

Second-ranked Southern California defeated Long Beach State, 9-5, at the 49er Campus Pool Sunday afternoon. Cecilia Canetti and Meaghan Leonard paced the ‘Niners with a pair of goals. The Trojans utilized a 4-0 run between the second and third period to pull away. The 49ers (8-17) return to action April 24 in the inaugural Big West Conference Tournament at the University of Pacific in Stockton.