Baseball, Men's Golf, Softball, Sports

Sports Picks: Women’s golf earns No. 15 seed for NCAA West Regional

Softball

Junior earns first Player of the Week honor

Junior left fielder Ashley Weber was named Big West Conference Softball Player of the Week on Monday.

Weber earned the first weekly honor of her career after helping the 49ers take two out of three against Cal State Fullerton as she batted .636 (7-for-11) with two RBIs, three runs scored and three doubles. She also laid down her conference-leading 24th sacrifice bunt.

The Yorba Linda-native went 3-for-3 with two runs, including the game-winner in the bottom of the seventh. She collected three more hits and two RBIs in Saturday’s Game 2. Her two-run double in the bottom of the fifth inning gave LBSU its first lead after falling behind 1-0 early in the game.

Weber connected for her third double of the weekend in her first at-bat in the series finale. She leads the team with a .341 season batting average, totaling 47 hits, 23 runs scored, 16 RBIs and nine doubles.

LBSU (29-18, 10-5 Big West) returns to action Saturday when it heads to UC Riverside for a three-game series, May 2-3. The two teams open with a doubleheader on Saturday at noon.

Women’s golf

‘Niners head to the desert

The Long Beach State women’s golf team will be one of 21 teams participating at the West Regional tournament on May 7-9. The announcement came Monday, just one week after the 49ers captured its first-ever Big West Conference Championship.

LBSU will be making its second-ever appearance in the NCAA tournament and will be the No. 15 seed.

“It’s good to finally hear the words that we’re heading to the West Regional,” 49er head coach Sue Ewart said in a press release. “The girls have certainly played a phenomenal spring season and winning back-to-back tournaments is indicative of their abilities as a team.”

This year’s regional tournament will take place at the Karsten Golf Course at Arizona State.

Dirtbags head to Westwood

Long Beach State (20-19, 7-5 Big West) travels to UCLA this evening for a non-conference game against the Bruins. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.

The Dirtbags are coming off a series sweep over Pacific, outscoring the Tigers 34-10 over the three-game set. LBSU resumes conference play Friday against UC Davis at Blair Field, starting at 6:30 p.m.