Men's Track & Field, Sports

Field accident nearly takes athlete’s life

A tragic mishap at a Cerritos College track and field meet caused senior Jennifer Onyeagbako to suffer a season-ending injury that nearly took her life.

Onyeagbako was resting before her hammer event during the April 18 Beach Invitational when the unthinkable occurred. A left-handed female thrower from another university accidently hooked her hammer, causing it to go over the throwers’ safety net. Several people yelled, “heads up,” but Onyeagbako could not get out of the way in time.

The nine-pound hammer instantly struck Onyeagbako in her chest, breaking her clavicle and bruising her lungs. She was knocked unconscious for several minutes, causing a state of fear for all the surrounding spectators, athletes and coaches.

“I was really scared because I thought she died,” freshman Destanie Yarbrough said. “Seeing the hammer hit her with so much force and then seeing her fly back and hit the ground was so scary.”

Track and field head coach Andy Sythe was on the track when the accident occurred. Sythe received the call that someone was hit by a hammer, but had no idea the victim was one of his athletes.

“When I got there I saw that it was Jennifer,” Sythe said. “It’s like you already think rock bottom when it’s anybody, and when you find out it’s one of your own, it really hits home.”

Onyeagbako was rushed to the Long Beach Memorial Trauma Center. She was released the next day and issued a sling to wear. Doctors felt surgery was not necessary because it was better for her broken clavicle to heal on its own.

During her career at LBSU, Onyeagbako was a top thrower for the 49ers. She was a triple threat for the track and field program, setting three school records in the discus, indoor weight throw and the outdoor hammer. She made a regional qualifying mark in the discus and the hammer this season.

Onyeagbako had high expectations for her senior year to go beyond regional and national competition.

“I had so many goals for my final season,” Onyeagbako said via Facebook message. “I was feeling like I had some big throws in me that were just ready to come out any meet. I wanted to go out with a bang and now I can’t and it is really frustrating.”

Despite her frustration, Onyeagbako is grateful her injury didn’t result in a more threatening outcome.

“This accident could’ve taken my life or given me injuries beyond repair that time and rest couldn’t mend. So for that I’m more than grateful,” Onyeagbako said.

Onyeagbako felt a lot of pain during the first three weeks of her injury, but has since been making improvements.

“The first few days I couldn’t even sit up or stand on my own,” Onyeagbako said. “Now I’m mobile and walking around.”

Freshman Rachel Hammar had recently just seen Onyeagbako and was happy to see her up and moving.

“She seems to be doing a lot better and she’s still wearing the sling,” Hammar said. “She’s looking like the same old Jennifer.”

Doctors say the injury should take anywhere from 10 to 12 weeks to completely heal.

Onyeagbako is still seriously considering competing after she graduates this year, and Sythe is not surprised.

“She wants to be the best and go farther and do more and achieve more all the time,” Sythe said. “If she is still serious about competing, that makes me happy because I know that there’s still a lot there.

“All of us know what the outcome could’ve been and it’s a relief. We are glad that she is going to have, what we hope to be, a normal life.”