Men's Cross Country, Sports

‘Niner Notes: Sept. 6

Women’s Soccer: LBSU splits pair on the road

LBSU 4, No. 21 Missouri 1

Three goals in five minutes helped Long Beach State (2-2-0) score a 4-1 upset on the road at No. 21 Missouri Sunday in Columbia, Mo.

LBSU defender Nicole Hubbard scored in the 77th and 79th minutes to fuel the 49ers’ late second-half onslaught. Whitney Velez assisted on Hubbard’s first goal, while Karina Camacho helped out on the second.

Freshman Jenny Soza netted the first goal of her 49er career in the 74th minute to break the 1-1 draw.

Junior midfielder Lindsay Bullock put the ‘Niners on the board in the 29th minute with the assist going to fellow midfielder Shawna Gordon.

The Tigers’ Kristin Andrighthetto netted the equalizer in the 55th minute with a penalty-kick goal.

LBSU goalkeeper Nicoline Jorgensen started the entire match, needing to make just two saves.

It’s the 49ers’ first win over a ranked opponent since 2005.

Kansas 3, LBSU 1

The Jayhawks’ three first-half goals provided more than enough cushion to lift Kansas to a 3-1 win over LBSU on Friday in Lawrence, Kan.

Camacho scored the 49ers’ only goal in the 74th minute with the assist going to Shannon Bullock. It was the Arizona-transfer’s first goal of the season.

Kansas midfielder Monica Dolinsky struck first in the eighth minute on a direct free kick. Forward Emily Cressy added another in the 27th minute and teammate Whitney Berry followed suit in the 41st minute.

Sophomore goalkeeper Emily Kingsborough started for the 49ers before Jorgensen came in to keep the Jayhawks scoreless in the second half.

LBSU continues its four-match road trip next weekend against Harvard (Sept. 11) and No. 6 Boston College (Sept. 13).

Cross Country: ‘Niners place second in men’s and women’s team standings

The 49er men’s and women’s cross country teams brought home second-place finishes at the Fullerton Season Opener Saturday evening at the Fullerton Municipal Golf Course.

The LBSU women were paced by freshman Anne Randall, who clocked in at 23:11.40 to place sixth in the 6K race.

Sophomore Elisabeth Ramos (seventh overall) was the second ‘Niner to cross the finish line, doing so in 23:16.00, followed by junior Jennifer Rodriguez (eighth place, 23:21.30). Sophomore Alisia Barajas’ time of 23:39.10 was good enough to land her a 15th-place finish.

Azusa Pacific University won the women’s team title after notching 53 points.

In the men’s race, the 49ers received top-20 performances from three runners, as sophomore Raul Arcos completed the 8K course in 26:29.00 to come in 14th place. Junior Josh Ruff (18th place) was the second 49er to finish the race, with a time of 26:37.90, followed by senior Dylan Jaedtke (19th place) who recorded a 26:40.00 mark.

Cal Poly Pomona took the men’s team title with 69 points.

APU took the individual title in both the men’s and women’s races as Jacky Kipwambok grabbed the women’s race with a time of 21:24.20 and Abednego Magut grabbed the men’s crown in 25:06.20.

The Beach returns to action at the Aztec Invitational in San Diego on Sept. 19.