Men's Water Polo, Sports

‘Niners fall in front of record crowd

The No. 9 Long Beach State men’s water polo team fell to the defending national champion and No. 1 ranked USC Trojans in its season-opener on Saturday, 12-3, at the 49er Campus Pool.

A record-setting 495 fans showed up in support of the 49ers, which despite a gritty effort were ultimately unable to break the now 30-game win streak of USC.

The Trojans began the match by scoring five unanswered goals, a streak that was snapped by Beach sophomore Shane Luth with a goal at the 5:28 mark in the second period. USC continued its scoring trend, totaling four more goals in the period to take a 9-1 halftime advantage.

The 49ers (0-1) surrendered the first goal of the second half, but answered quickly in the form of junior Alexandr Petrovic with 7:02 remaining in the period. The Trojans would go on to score two more goals in the third period pushing the score to 12-2.

The LBSU defense clamped down in the final period holding USC scoreless. Unfortunately, the Trojan lead proved insurmountable as LBSU was able to score only one goal in the final period courtesy of senior Kevin Mundia.

Senior goalie Derek Wiebe-Bailey, who finished fifth in the nation in saves last year, recorded seven saves in the game.

LBSU dropped an exhibition alumni game to former 49er players, 11-10, Sunday at the Campus Pool.

The 49ers travel to Palo Alto, Calif. to participate in the Norcal Tournament Sept. 19-20.

Their next home game will take place Sept. 24 against No. 8- ranked UC Irvine.