Men's Cross Country, Men's Water Polo, Sports

‘Niner Notes: Sept. 25-26

Cross country: Men place 5th, women 7th at Stanford Invitational

Junior Josh Ruff was the top finisher for the 49er men, placing 19th with a personal-best time of 24:50 in the 8K run at the Stanford Invitational on Saturday.

Fellow junior Travis Kuhlman was the second LBSU runner to finish, coming in 31st with a time of 25:13, tying his personal best.

Other 49er finishers were Dylan Jaedtke in 34th (25:14), Raul Arcos in 38th (25:20) and Steven DeCastro in 46th (25:31).

On the women’s side, sophomore Liz Ramos paced the ‘Niners in the 6K race, finishing 22nd with a time of 21:39. Junior Jennifer Rodriguez was second among LBSU women with a time of 22:08 to finish 39th.

Other finishers for the 49er women were Alisia Barajas in 45th (22:15), Anne Randall in 46th (22:15) and Missy Barclay in 49th (22:22).

Stanford swept the men’s and women’s team titles as Chris Derrick won the men’s individual crown with a time of 23:54. Tara Erdmann, who ran unattached, captured the women’s title with a time of 20:20.

The Beach returns to action Oct. 17 when the team travels back to the Bay Area for the Santa Clara Invitational.

Men’s water polo: Lions halt 49er winning streak at 4

The No. 9 Long Beach State men’s water polo team fell, 9-5, at Loyola Marymount on Saturday, stopping the 49ers’ streak at four.

The ‘Niners trailed, 8-2, to start the fourth period before receiving goals from Jeff Greenwood, Taylor Clute and Barry Snyder to trim the deficit.

Alexsandr Petrovic and Kevin Mundia also netted goals for the 49ers. Beach goalkeeper Derek Wiebe-Bailey tallied six saves, while LMU counterpart Andy Stevens posted 12.

The Lion offense was led by Andrew Aki, who scored three goals.

The 49ers (4-3) travel to Pepperdine Saturday, Oct. 3 for a noontime showdown against the Waves.

Women’s soccer: 49ers drop second straight decision

The 49er women’s soccer team failed to register a single shot on goal in a 1-0 loss at Loyola Marymount on Friday.

Lion defender Kelsey Wilson scored the only goal of the match in the 22nd minute on a free kick from 20 yards out. LMU was out-shot, 7-6.

Midfielder Shawna Gordon and forward Nicole Sweetman fired off two shots apiece for The Beach, while goalkeeper Nicoline Jorgensen tallied one save in the loss.

LBSU (4-5) returns to George Allen Field to open Big West Conference action on Thursday, Oct. 1 when it hosts Pacific at 3 p.m.

Men’s basketball: At least 10 Long Beach State games to be televised

The Beach men’s basketball team will have at least 10 televised games this upcoming season on the ESPN and Fox Sports networks for the upcoming season.

The first of the televised showdowns will come as part of the 76 Classic when the 49ers face West Virginia on ESPNU. The slate also includes daunting road games at Texas (ESPNU), Kentucky (Fox Sports South) and Duke (FSS).

LBSU will have four Big West Conference games televised on either an ESPN or Fox Sports network.

Two additional 49er games could be picked up by a TV network, including an ESPN “wildcard” game on Jan. 30, with LBSU’s home tilt against UC Davis being considered for the slot. LBSU’s BracketBuster game on Feb. 20 could also air on one of the ESPN networks.

2009-10 Television Games
Date Opponent Network (Time)
Nov. 26 West Virginia ESPNU (11 a.m.)
Nov. 27 Clemson or Texas A&M ESPN or ESPNU (TBA)
Nov. 29 76 Classic ESPN2 or ESPNU (TBA)
Dec. 7 at Texas ESPNU (6 p.m.)
Dec. 23 at Kentucky Fox Sports South (10 a.m.)
Dec. 29 at Duke Fox Sports South (4 p.m.)
Feb. 4 Cal State Fullerton ESPNU (8 p.m.)
Feb. 6 Cal State Northridge FSN West (5 p.m.)
Feb. 11 at Cal Poly FSN Prime Ticket ( 7:05 p.m.)
March 5 UC Riverside FSN West (7:30 p.m.)