Men's Water Polo, Sports, Women's Tennis

‘Niner Notes: Oct 3-4

Women’s tennis: The Beach completes Day 2 at Cal NIKE Invite

Sophomore Julie Luzar defeated Pacific’s Olga Gumenyuk 6-1, 6-3 to win the Flight C championship at the Cal NIKE Invitational on Sunday.

In doubles action, the team of Deborah Armstrong and Anais Dallara fell, 8-4, to Cal’s Kasia Siowosz and Tayler Davis in the Flight B doubles final.

The 49ers continue their fall season next weekend at the Fullerton Invitational.

Day 2

Luzar notched a 6-3, 6-2 win over Zalina Nazarova of Sacramento State to advance to Sunday’s final, set to be played at 9:30 a.m.

Freshman Jaklin Alawi defeated Alana McMahon of San Francisco, 6-4, 6-2 in back draw action to capture her first singles win of the year. Anna Jeczmionka fell 7-5, 6-2 to Bianca Modoc of Fresno State, while Deborah Armstrong lost to Melissa McQueen 6-1, 7-6 [3].

Armstrong and Dallara teamed up in doubles to take down Brigham Young University’s Elle Carney and Chie Hayasaka, 8-3. Alawi teamed with Molly Aloia of Saint Mary’s to down Modoc and Anna Mikhaylova, 8-5.

Men’s water polo: ‘Niners drop match at Pepperdine

No. 7 LBSU fell to No. 8 Pepperdine, 8-7, Saturday at the Raleigh-Runnels Pool Saturday afternoon.

The 49ers received two goals apiece from Taylor Clute and Alexsandr Petrovic. Jeff Greenwood, Kevin Mundia and Carter Taylor also scored.

The Waves were carried by a 15-save effort from goalie Tommy O’Connell, including six in the deciding period. Pepperdine’s Brett Auer recorded a hat trick to pace the attack.

Up next for the The Beach (4-4) will be the UC Irvine Invitational on Saturday, Oct. 10 when the ‘Niners open the tournament against Navy.

Track and field: LBSU hires assistant coach

Long Beach State track and field hired Shaun Meinecke as an assistant coach, 49er head coach Andy Sythe announced Friday.

Meinecke will work with sprinters, hurdlers and relay teams. He spent three years as an assistant track and field coach at Miami University (Ohio), producing six Mid-American Conference champions, five national appearances and two All-American performances.

Prior to his time at Miami, Meinecke spent two years as the head coach for Georgia Southern’s women’s cross country and track and field teams. He won two Southern Conference Outdoor Track and Field Coach of the Year awards during his tenure.

The former NCAA Division III All-American decathlete won a national championship as a member of the distance medley relay team at Luther College.