Men's Basketball, Sports

49ers to face first high-profile road opponent

The Long Beach State men’s basketball team’s biggest challenge of the season, so far, awaits in Notre Dame, Ind. tonight.

Associated Press preseason All-American Luke Harangody and his Notre Dame squad will look to hand the 49ers their first loss of the 2009-10 season. The Fighting Irish are just the first of many high-profile opponents that LBSU will face this season.

Head coach Dan Monson knew the 49ers’ confidence would be challenged when the tough nonconference schedule was put together.

“I think this team is very confident,” Monson said before the season. “I think some of that will get beaten out of them in the preseason and that’s OK. Confidence and reality have got to find a meeting ground. I want my team to believe they’re good, but I want them to also understand what they need to work on.”

LBSU has started the season in a positive way with victories over Alaska-Anchorage and Pepperdine, but the Fighting Irish are a different monster.

The 6-foot-8 Harangody comes into the contest averaging 23 points and 8 rebounds per game. Notre Dame also comes in with a 2-0 record as it had back-to-back 20-plus point wins over North Florida and St. Francis University (Pa.).

Notre Dame has also received contributions from Ben Hansbrough, the brother of former North Carolina star Tyler Hansbrough, who is averaging 18.5 ppg and 5.5 assists per game. The 6-foot-3 senior has also converted on 9-of-11 shots from 3-point range through the first two games.

The 49ers’ rebounding effort will have to change if they want to compete with the formidable Big East Conference foe.

LBSU was out-rebounded in both of its games this season, including a 54-33 margin against Pepperdine on Tuesday night. Monson believes the 49ers have the capability of becoming a good rebounding team, but Eugene Phelps and T.J. Robinson need help from others to make that happen.

“We had a lot of guys standing and watching,” Monson said after the 49ers’ 67-58 win over Pepperdine. “Rebounding is activity. … Our first scrimmage against San Diego when [Phelps] had 17 rebounds, it kind of led everybody to stand around thinking he was going to get every one of them.”

Many 49ers should expect to get playing time in tonight’s game, as foul trouble has been an Achilles’ heel for the team this season.

All is not lost for LBSU, though, as Notre Dame is allowing its opponents to score 68.5 ppg this season. And, the Fighting Irish allowed St. Francis to go 13-of-19 from beyond the arc.

Tip-off is scheduled for 4:30 p.m., and can be heard on the Long Beach State athletics Web site.

Looking for revenge

The 49ers will also take a trip to Green Bay, Wis. in a return game with the Green Bay Phoenix on Saturday. LBSU hosted the Phoenix last season as part of ESPNU’s BracketBusters, but dropped the contest, 86-75.

The Phoenix will go into the game with a 4-1 record and is led by junior Rahmon Fletcher, who is averaging 16.2 ppg.

Former Green Bay forward Ryan Tillema, who poured in 30 points in last year’s contest, has departed, so LBSU should have an easier time with the Phoenix on Saturday.

The Phoenix were picked to finish fifth in the Horizon League preseason poll behind teams like No. 10 Butler.

Tip-off is set for 11 a.m. at Green Bay’s Resch Center, which is directly across from historic Lambeau Field.