Men's Basketball, Men's Water Polo, Sports, Women's Basketball

‘Niner Notes: Nov. 19-22

Men’s Basketball: Gilling pours 22, LBSU charges past Green Bay

Stephan Gilling snapped out of his early-season shooting slump to lift the Long Beach State men’s basketball team to an 81-69 win over Green Bay on Saturday at the Resch Center.

The senior guard netted 22 points on 8-of-16 shooting, including a 6-of-14 showing from behind the 3-point line. Sophomore Larry Anderson added 17 points, five rebounds, four assists and four steals, while classmate Eugene Phelps chipped in 15 points and eight rebounds on 7-of-8 shooting.

The 49ers (3-1) took a 38-31 lead into the intermission and pulled away after shooting 63 percent as a team in the second half.  

Randy Berry and Troy Cotton had 16 points apiece to lead five Green Bay players in double figures. The Phoenix (4-2) were held to 40.6 percent shooting for the game.

LBSU resumes action on Thanksgiving Day when it plays West Virginia (No. 8 AP, No. 9 ESPN/USA Today) in the first round of the 76 Classic at the Anaheim Convention Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 11 a.m.

Second-half run dooms 49ers in South Bend

The Long Beach State men’s basketball stayed close with Notre Dame for one half before the Fighting Irish’s preseason All-American Luke Harangody decided to take over.

Harangody finished with 29 points and 12 rebounds on 13-of-23 shooting as the 49ers (2-1) fell to the Irish, 82-62, Thursday night at the Edmund P. Joyce Center.

Up by two at the half, Notre Dame (3-0) utilized a 13-2 run to push its lead to 50-37 at the 16:53 mark. The 49ers sliced the lead to eight on three different occasions until the Irish closed the game out on an 18-6 spurt.

Larry Anderson’s 20 points and T.J. Robinson’s 16 paced the ‘Niner offense, while sophomore forward Eugene Phelps had a career night on the glass, grabbing 18 rebounds — the 10th highest single-game total in program history — to go with nine points.

LBSU out-rebounded the Irish, 33-32, but was held to 41.3 percent shooting for the game.

The ‘Niners hit the road to play Green Bay on Saturday in a rematch of last season’s BracketBuster game, where the Phoenix came out on top, 86-75. Tip-off is set for 11 a.m.

Women’s Basketball: The Beach cruises past Texas-Pan American

Senior Ally Wade’s 15 second-half points allowed Long Beach State pull away from Texas-Pan American, 79-56, Sunday afternoon at the South Padres Island Convention Center.

Wade scored 22 points in total on 7-for-10 shooting from the field and 4-of-7 on 3-pointers. Lauren Sims contributed 14, while Brett Timmons and Melanie Lisnock added 13 and 12, respectively as the 49ers (2-2) shot 51.7 percent from the field as a team.

Senior Karina Figueroa led the team with nine assists while Ashley Bookman grabbed a team-best eight rebounds.

The Lady Broncs (0-3) were limited to a 35.7 percent clip. Rachel Hester led UTPA with 14 points, while Bianca Torres collected 13.

LBSU next travels to Coral Gables, Fla. for the University of Miami Thanksgiving Tournament from Nov. 27-28. The 49ers play the host Hurricanes on Friday at 4 p.m. PT before closing the tournament on Saturday against Massachusetts or Rice.

Cold second-half shooting results in loss

The 49ers shot a season-low 31.7 percent from the field as they fell, 69-56, at New Mexico State in the first road game of the season on Friday.

Long Beach State also committed a season-high 29 turnovers.

Senior guard Karina Figueroa led LBSU (1-2) with 20 points to go along with five rebounds, while classmates Ally Wade and Lauren Sims added 16 and 11 respectively. Junior Ashley Bookman snagged a career-high 11 rebounds.

The Beach led 29-25 at halftime, but was held to an abysmal 24.2 percent from the field in the second half. The Aggies grabbed a hold of the game when they went on a 22-2 run to build up a 52-36 lead at the 9:43 mark.

NMSU (2-1), which held its largest lead at 21, was led by Crystal Boyd’s 17 points, along with 12 apiece from Madison Spence and Danisha Corbett.

The ‘Niners continue their road trip on Sunday when they face Texas-Pan American at the South Padre Island Convention Center. Tip-off is slated for 11 a.m. PT.

Men’s Water Polo: 49ers’ season ends in Stockton

The No. 6 49ers will miss out on the eight-team Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Tournament after falling to No. 16 Pacific, 9-8, on Saturday in Stockton.

LBSU (9-12, 1-7 MPSF) held an 8-5 lead in the third quarter before the Tigers stormed back with four unanswered goals.  

Seniors Kevin Mundia and Jeff Greenwood — who finished his career at No. 4 on the 49er all-time scoring list with 177 — and sophomore Alexsandr Petrovic netted two goals apiece for the 49ers.

Four-year letter-winner Justin Koeppen also got into the scoring column after putting away a goal in the third period to place him at No. 25 on the program’s all-time list. Younger brother Jordan also scored.

Senior goalkeeper Derek Wiebe-Bailey racked up eight saves in the final game of his 49er career to finish at No. 4 on the LBSU all-time list in saves with 543. The season finale was also the last game for senior Joe Sherrin.