Sports, Women's Basketball

‘Niner Notes: Nov. 27-28

Women’s Basketball: 49ers hold off Rice

Karina Figueroa notched 17 points to lead four Long Beach State players in double-figures as the 49ers edged the Rice Owls, 68-64, on Saturday at the University of Miami Thanksgiving Tournament in Coral Gables, Fla.

Figueroa, who also dished out five assists and collected four rebounds, shot just 3-of-9 from the field, but did most of her damage from the free throw line, going 11-of-13. As the team, LBSU (3-3) went 17-for-24 from behind the charity stripe.

Ally Wade chipped in 12 points and seven rebounds, while Melanie Lisnock and LaTorya Barbee added 11 and 10, respectively. Forward Ashley Bookman amassed a team-high eight rebounds to go with seven points.

The Beach also won the turnover battle after committing just 14 to Rice’s 22.

The Owls (0-6) were led by a double-double performance from Jackie Stanley, who had 24 points and 11 rebounds.

Figueroa was named to the all-tournament team after averaging 20.0 points, 7.5 assists and 6.5 rebounds per game.

LBSU returns to the Walter Pyramid on Thursday, Dec. 3 to host head coach Jody Wynn’s alma mater USC. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m.

Miami 83, LBSU 66

The Beach fell on the first day of the tournament to host Miami, 83-66, despite a career-high 25 points from senior Lauren Sims.

Sims drained a career-best seven 3-pointers, which was also good enough to tie the program’s single-game record.

Figueroa came one rebound shy of a triple-double after registering 23 points, 10 assists and a team-high nine rebounds.