Sports, Women's Basketball

All-Big West selection dismissed

The leading scorer from last year’s women’s basketball team was released for a “violation of team rules,” Long Beach State head coach Jody Wynn confirmed on Tuesday.

Senior forward Whitney Fields, a preseason All-Big West Conference selection by the media this year, averaged 10.5 points and four rebounds per game in two appearances this season before she was dismissed.

“We left her home on a road trip and she failed to show up the next two days for practice and weights … that’s why she’s no longer on the team,” Wynn said.

Fields confirmed missing practice and a weight training session.

“I hope this isn’t coach Wynn’s final, final decision,” said Fields, who added that she will be meeting with Wynn tomorrow morning to further discuss the situation.

Fields, a Miami native, was absent from the team’s road trip to New Mexico State, Texas Pan-American and the University of Miami Thanksgiving tournament.

The last time Fields suited up for The Beach was on Nov. 16 against Loyola Marymount.  She scored nine points on 4-of-6 shooting and was also 1-for-2 from the free-throw line. In the season opener, Fields shot 5-for-10 from the field and finished the game with 12 points. She also grabbed four rebounds and added three steals.

Last season, Fields started 27 of 29 games and averaged 28.9 minutes per game. This season, Fields came off the bench in both outings and averaged 22.5 minutes.

Fields, who is the second player to be released from the program this season, was selected to the Big West’s second team last year after leading The Beach in scoring at 12.6 points per game. Fields, a transfer from the University of Arizona, also led the Big West in rebounds with 8.6 per contest.

Freshman guard Adelle Walton was also dismissed before the season.