LBSU women squander 17-point lead in defeat

The 49ers' second-half shooting woes continued for a second consecutive contest

Long Beach State junior forward Ashley Bookman (12) works between a pair of Cal State Fullerton defenders in the lane at the Walter Pyramid on Thursday afternoon. LBSU blew a 17-point lead and lost, 67-60.

Michael Chan Yee / Daily 49er

Michael Chan Yee / Daily 49er

Michael Chan Yee / Daily 49er

Andrea C. Quezada, Assistant sports editor

The Long Beach State women’s basketball team led by as many as 17 points in the first half, but dropped a 67-60 decision to Cal State Fullerton in front of 3,004 fans at the Walter Pyramid on Thursday afternoon.

“We got complacent. They turned it up a notch and we couldn’t make a shot,” head coach Jody Wynn said about the loss.

The Titans outscored The Beach, 16-11, during the first nine minutes of the second half to take their first lead of the game, 40-39, with 11:11 remaining on the game clock.

The ‘Niners would regain their last lead of the game, 41-40, on a layup by senior forward Ally Wade. The Titans would capitalize on The Beach’s inability to score, retaking the lead, 42-41, on a jumper by Mya Olivier.

Long Beach State (5-9, 1-1 Big West Conference) and CSUF exchanged a couple of buckets over the course of two minutes, but the Titans stepped it up defensively and limited the ‘Niners to just nine field goals during the final 10 minutes to seal the victory.

“When the ball’s not falling, it’s easy to put your head down and not play as hard defensively and, unfortunately, that’s what happened,” Wynn said.

After shooting 48.1 percent (13-for-27) from the floor in the first half, The Beach shot a dismal 33.3 percent (13-for-39) in the second half and finished the game at 39.4 percent (26-for-66).

The 49ers, usually an efficient 3-point shooting team, made only 4-of-15 baskets from 3-point range (26.7 percent). The ‘Niners also had a sub-par effort from the free-throw line, where they shot just 44.4 percent (4-of-9) for the contest.

LBSU led CSUF, 28-24, at halftime, but this was the second consecutive game the ‘Niners have had difficulties shooting after the break.

“I don’t know what’s going on with that basket down there,” Wynn said.

The ‘Niners were outrebounded by the visiting Titans, 44-38.

“Rebounding is all heart and even if we had position or not, they were going after it harder,” said Wade, who led the 49ers in scoring with 13 points and also pulled down a game-high nine rebounds.

Senior guard Karina Figueroa and sophomore Tipesa Moorer each contributed with 12 points apiece.

CSUF (7-8, 3-0 Big West) had three players score in double digits. Megan Richardson scored a game-high 15 points, while Britt Peters and Jasmine Scott had 14 and 12, respectively.

Long Beach State will close out a five game homestand Saturday when it takes on UC Irvine at 2 p.m.