Men's Golf, Softball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: March 8

Women’s Golf: 49ers finish first day in 7th place

After two rounds of play at the Julie Inkster Spartan Invitational in San Jose, the Long Beach State women’s golf team finds itself in a three-way tie for seventh place with No. 22 Oklahoma State and San Diego State at the par-72, 6,223 yard Almaden Golf and Country Club.

The 49ers were tied for fourth with Fresno State with a 12-over par 300 after the opening round, but fell three spots in the second round as The Beach finished the day with a 311 (+23).

Tournament host No. 36 San Jose State leads the 16-team field with a two-round score of 595 (+19), as the Spartans hold a six shot lead over No. 26 UC Davis (601) and seven shots over No. 14 California (602).

Sophomore Noelle Zavaleta led the way for LBSU as she’s currently tied for 17th with a six-over 152. Zavaleta carded an opening round of 74 to tie for eighth, but fell in the standings as she finished the second round with a 78.

Junior Lindsey McAtee and sophomore Monica Villarreal finished the day tied for 25th with a 153 (+9). McAtee carded two consistent rounds of 76 and 77 as she moved up from 27th, while Villarreal recorded scores of 75 and 78 to fall from 15th after the first round.

Junior Reina Rogers is tied for 29th with a 154 (+10) after rounds of 76 and 78, while freshman Simone Hoey is currently tied for 33rd with a 155 (+11) after carding rounds of 75 and 80.

Christina Corpus of SJSU sits on top of the leaderboard with a 143 (-1) as she leads the field of 84 players by one stroke over Caroline Hedwall of Oklahoma State and Louisa Lies of Fresno State (144).

Final round action concludes on Tuesday at 8 a.m. Live action can be followed on golfstat.com.

Softball: Turner earns weekly recognition

Junior Brooke Turner was named the Big West Conference Pitcher of the Week on Monday, marking the 11th time in her career she has earned the honor.

Turner allowed just one run on four hits over six innings in a 1-0 loss to Oregon, striking out eight against only one walk.

She topped that outing in her next start, leading The Beach to a 6-2 victory over Buffalo. She tossed all seven innings and allowed five hits, two runs and one walk. She also fanned a season-high nine batters.

Overall, Turner registered a 1.62 ERA, allowing just three runs on nine hits and two walks in 13.0 innings of work. She finished the weekend with 17 strikeouts, giving her 429 in her career to rank second among the 49er all-time leaders.

LBSU returns to action this weekend when it hosts the Long Beach State Invitational, March 12-14, at Mayfair Park. The 49ers open the tournament with a single game against Purdue on Friday at 6 p.m.