Softball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: March 12

Softball: Eight-run fourth inning sparks win over Purdue

The 49er softball team (7-11) erupted in the fourth inning to pull away with an 8-4 win over Purdue in its first game of the Long Beach State Invitational at Mayfair Park Friday evening.

Sophomore Taylor Petty (3-7) earned the victory, allowing four runs (three earned) on six hits and three walks. She also tied her season-high with eight strikeouts.

LBSU senior Bridgette Pagano sparked the offense with a two-run double, while junior Liz Javier and senior Ashley Weber both went 2-for-3 with a run and an RBI.

Purdue (6-10) struck in the second inning with a solo home run from Shelby Krammer. The Boilermakers tacked on one more in the fourth when Ashley Courtney scored on an error by 49er shortstop Ashley Levine.

The Beach responded in the bottom half of the inning when Javier started the rally with an infield single. Christina Schallig then reached on an error before Caitrin DeBaun sent a shot up the middle to load the bases.

Kristen Pocock was hit by the pitch and Levine drew a walk to tie the score at 2-2. Pagano then put the 49ers on top with a two-run double before Weber, Javier and Schallig each had an RBI single to give LBSU a commanding 8-2 lead.

Purdue threatened in the top of the seventh, scoring two runs on a one-out double by Erika Petruzzi, but Petty got the last two Boilermakers to fly out, sealing the win.

The Beach returns to action tomorrow when it takes on Notre Dame (6 p.m.) and Buffalo (8 p.m.) at Mayfair Park.

Tennis: 49ers cruise to third consecutive sweep

Long Beach State defeated Nevada, 7-0, Friday at home in a nonconference play to push its winning streak to three.

The 49ers (10-2) grabbed the doubles point, as Jaklin Alawi and Rachel Manasse defeated Maria Mizyuk and Sophie Stevens, 8-3, while Deborah Armstrong and Anais Dallara rallied from an early deficit to take an 8-5 win over Florence DeVrye and Aodhnait Lombard.

LBSU’s Sarah Cantlay and Anna Jeczmionka forced a tiebreaker after trailing 4-1, but fell at No. 3 singles to Ogata/Verberne 8-7.

In singles, Dallara continued her strong play in a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 2 singles over Emma Verberne, and Alawi remained undefeated at No. 1 singles with a 7-6, 6-4 win over Mizyuk. Armstrong defeated DeVrye 6-1, 6-2, and Manasse won 6-1, 6-3 over Lais Ogata at No. 4 singles in one of the clinching victories.

Cantlay won in straight sets as well at No. 6, defeating Stevens 7-5, 6-4, while Jeczmionka pulled out a tight match with Aline Laurioux, winning 7-6 (3), 6-7 (5), 10-4.

LBSU remains at home for four more matches, and will face four ranked opponents in that stretch. The 49ers will start with Minnesota, hosting the Golden Gophers at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, March 17.