Baseball, Men's Golf, Softball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: March 15

Baseball: Terdoslavich picks up Player of the Week nod

Junior third baseman Joey Terdoslavich was named the Big West Player of the Week, as announced by the conference office today. Terdoslavich hit .615 on the week and had five RBI.

The Miami (Fla.) transfer was a key part of an offensive resurgence that carried Long Beach State to a 3-1 record over the past week. Terdoslavich started the week with a game-winning pinch hit appearance, driving in a run with a single in the eighth inning to get the Dirtbags past San Diego State, 4-3.

The Sarasota, Fla. native then hit .583 against Wichita State to help The Beach take the series against the No. 21 Shockers. Terdoslavich had three hits on both Saturday and Sunday, driving in four runs, scoring twice and hit a pair of doubles.

The Dirtbags (7-7) travel to face Loyola Marymount on Tuesday at 3 p.m.

Men’s golf: 49ers in 3rd heading into final round in Pauma Valley

The Long Beach State men’s golf team sits in third place after two rounds of play at the 12-team Triumph at Pauma Valley, just 12 strokes behind tournament host San Francisco and five strokes behind Central Arkansas.

The 49ers posted identical scores of 299 for the first two rounds at the Pauma Valley Country Club for a total score of 30-over par 598.

Sophomore Kevin Roy led the 49ers with rounds of 75 and 71 for a 146 (+4) to tie for fifth, while senior Robbie Berton finished second for LBSU as he tied for 16th with identical scores of 75 for both rounds for a 150 (+8).

Senior Michael Drake finished third for the 49ers as he shot a 75 and 77 for a 152 (+10) to tie for 21st.

Freshman Benjamin Lein carded a 78 and 76 to tie for 24th with a 154 (+12), while fellow classmate Raymond Ho posted scores of 74 and 83 to tie for 35th with a 157 (+15) and Philip Chian, playing as an individual competitor, is currently tied for 43rd as he recorded an 81 and 78 for a 159 (+17).

Steven Lecuyer of Central Arkansas and Tom Whitney of Air Force currently sit on top of the leaderboard with a 143 (+1) as both players hold a two-stroke lead.

Final round action concludes on Tuesday with first tee times set for 7:40 a.m.

Softball: Turner, Javier pick up conference honors

Juniors Liz Javier and Brooke Turner were named the Big West Conference Softball Player and Pitcher of the Week, respectively, the league office announced Monday afternoon.

Javier and Turner led the 49ers to a 4-1 showing at the Long Beach State Invitational this past weekend.

Javier sparked the offense as she hit safely in all five of LBSU’s contests to extend her current hitting streak to seven games. She collected multiple hits against Purdue, Buffalo and San Diego. Javier finished the weekend with a .533 batting average, scoring three runs and collecting five walks.

Turner won her second consecutive Big West Pitcher of the Week award after going 2-1 in the circle. She started the weekend with five strikeouts and allowed four runs in a defeat to Notre Dame, before going the distance in a 1-0 win over Idaho State, giving up just five hits and recording a season-high 13 strikeouts.

She came on in relief in her final appearance, shutting down San Diego to help the 49ers to a 6-1, eight-inning victory.

Overall, Turner registered a 1.31 earned run average in 16.0 innings of work. She allowed just 14 hits, four runs (three earned) and two walks, while striking out 20.