Softball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: April 11

Softball: 49ers homer three times in 10-9 loss

Long Beach State (19-18) could not complete the three-game sweep against Cal State Northridge on Sunday after falling to the Matadors, 10-9, in eight innings.

CSUN’s Jaci Carlsen drove in the game winner with an RBI-single down the left field line to score Jaclyn Rymer.

Ashley Weber, Christina Schallig and Kristen Pocock all homered for LBSU in the losing effort. Schallig went 3-for-5 with three RBIs, while Pocock, Ashley Levine and Nalani St. Germain each knocked out two hits.

Sophomore Taylor Petty (7-10) was charged with the loss after allowing seven runs — one earned — in 3 2/3 innings of work. She struck out three and allowed seven hits.

The Beach returns for a three-game series at UC Davis starting Saturday at noon.

Women’s Tennis: Winning streak snapped in nonconference duel

The 49ers had their three-match winning streak snapped in a 6-1 loss to No. 52 St. Mary’s (Calif.) on Sunday at the Rhodes Tennis Center.

Four of six singles matches went to a third set as junior Deborah Armstrong recorded the only point for Long Beach State (16-4) in the nonconference meeting after posting a 6-4, 6-0 win over Anna Chikhikvishvili at No. 3 singles.

The Gaels took two of the three doubles matches. The 49ers picked up their lone doubles victory at No. 3 as Sarah Cantlay and Julie Luzar beat Alita Fisher and Nienke Strijbis, 8-4. In the deciding doubles match, Poorta/Soper held off Armstrong and Rachel Manasse, 8-6, to take the point.

LBSU plays two more nonconference matches against Pepperdine and Loyola Marymount to finish out the regular season before heading to the Big West tournament in Indian Wells as the top seed.