Baseball, Men's Water Polo, Softball, Sports

‘Niner Notes: April 17

Baseball: Dirtbags even series with UCR

Long Beach State (15-16, 4-4 Big West Conference) pounded out nine extra-base hits and eight singles to defeat UC Riverside 8-5 on Saturday night, evening the series at one game apiece.

Brennan Metzger tied a school-record with three doubles and Kirk Singer hit his second home run of the season for LBSU to cap off a four-run eighth inning for the Dirtbags.

LBSU’s Jonathan Jones started off the inning with a hard double down the left field line, and Jordan Casas followed with a double over the head of first baseman Brian McConkey after a pitching change from the Highlanders.

After a sacrifice from Kellen Hoime, Metzger followed with his third double of the day, and Singer capped the rally by hitting a huge home run to left field and giving the Dirtbags an 8-3 lead.

UCR spoiled Jake Thompson’s complete game bid by scoring a pair of runs with one out in the ninth inning, but Jason Markovitz struck out McConkey and pinch hitter Trent Jemmet with runners on the corners to pick up his first save of the season.

The Dirtbags and the Highlanders return to the Riverside Sports Complex for the rubber game between the two teams Sunday beginning at 2 p.m.

Softball: 49ers split first two at Davis

Game 1
Game 2

Sophomore Taylor Petty lifted Long Beach State (20-19, 4-4 Big West Conference) to a doubleheader split against UC Davis with her second one-hit shutout this season.

Petty (8-10) did not allow a hit until Alex Holmes singled up the middle for the Aggies in the bottom of the seventh. The San Pedro native finished the day with a season-high nine strikeouts.

Freshman Bree Stephan led the 49ers on the offensive end, going 2-for-3, while driving in both of LBSU’s runs.

The Beach broke open a pitcher’s duel in the final frame, scoring a pair of runs on three hits. Liz Javier led off with a base hit before Kristen Pocock doubled to right center. With runners on second and third, Stephan came through with a clutch one-out single down the right field line to put the 49ers up, 2-0.

LBSU returns to LaRue Field on Sunday when it takes on UC Davis in the rubber game beginning at noon.

UC Davis 5, Long Beach State 0

UCD built an early lead and never looked back as it defeated LBSU, 5-0, in the series opener.

Junior Brooke Turner (9-8) was credited with the loss as she allowed two runs on one hit. Senior Bridgette Pagano also gave up three runs on five hits in 5 2/3 innings of relief.

Dana Waldusky (6-11) quieted the 49er bats, tossing a three-hit shutout for UC Davis. Stephan and seniors Ashley Levine and Brandy Reyes all found their way into the hit column for The Beach.

UCD got on the board in the first inning after Turner hit a batter and gave up a single. When both runners moved up a base on an illegal pitch, Pagano came on in relief, retiring Sarah Axelson before Holmes’ two-RBI double gave the Aggies the early advantage.

UC Davis (15-24, 4-3 BWC) tacked on one more in the second and two in the sixth for the final 5-0 margin.

Women’s Tennis: LBSU sweeps LMU in regular season finale

No. 40 Long Beach State closed out the regular season in top form Saturday, winning all nine matches on the day to defeat LMU.

The 49ers won all three matches to take the doubles point before winning all six singles matches in straight sets.

Deborah Armstrong and Anais Dallara, playing at No. 1 doubles for the second match in a row, defeated Bliss Nixon and Shauna Morgan 8-5, while Jaklin Alawi and Rachel Manasse won 8-6 over Jasmin Heckel and Elisaveta Pironkova at No. 2 doubles.

A win at No. 3 doubles from Sarah Cantlay and Julie Luzar made it a clean sweep for the 49ers in doubles.

The dominance from the 49ers continued in singles, as Alawi and Dallara won at No. 1 and No. 2 singles by identical 6-2, 6-1 scores.

Armstrong and Manasse also didn’t allow their opponents past three games as Armstrong defeated Shauna Morgan 6-1, 6-3, while Manasse dispatched Elisaveta Pironkova 6-3, 6-1.

Anna Jeczmionka prevailed in a first-set tiebreaker before winning 7-6, 6-1, and Cantlay rounded out the match with a 7-5, 6-0 win over Audrey Bulkley at No. 6 singles.

LBSU next heads to the Big West Tournament from April 30 through May 2 at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, where the 49ers will have the No. 1 seed.

Women’s Water Polo: ‘Niners win on Senior Day

The 49ers stormed out to a 3-0 lead and never looked back in a 7-4 victory over Cal State Bakersfield.

Kristen Stragier had 13 saves as LBSU’s defense posted its second-lowest goals allowed total of the season.

Katie Rogers scored off of The Beach’s second possession with less than a minute gone in the game to give the 49ers the lead for good. Rogers scored again with five minutes remaining in the period and then Krizia Cerda scored the first of her three goals with 1:52 in the first period to give the 49ers a 3-0 lead after the first quarter.

Miranda Furuto and Kirsten Thorn tallied one goal apiece for the ‘Niners.

LBSU hosts the Big West Championships next weekend, running from April 23-25.

Disclaimer: The Daily 49er is not responsible for comments made on www.daily49er.wpengine.com. Persons commenting are solely responsible for comments made on this Web site. The Daily 49er strongly advises individuals to not abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid language suggestive of hate speech.