Soccer, Sports

‘Niners picked to finish in bottom half by coaches

The Long Beach State women’s soccer team was selected to finish the 2010 season in sixth place when the Big West Conference coaches’ poll was released on Thursday.

Head coach Mauricio Ingrassia’s squad received 44 points in the nine-team poll, leaving the 49ers just one point behind Cal State Northridge’s 45.

The Beach finished the 2009 season with a 5-11-3 overall record and failed to win the regular-season title for the first time since 2006. LBSU was selected to finish second in the 2009 preseason coaches’ poll.

Meanwhile, UC Santa Barbara was selected to win the Big West with four first-place votes and 75 points overall. The Gauchos captured the conference’s automatic bid the last two seasons after winning the Big West tournament. This is the third consecutive season that UCSB has been tabbed the favorite.

Cal Poly nabbed the second spot with 61 points and two first-place votes, just edging out UC Irvine by one point. The Anteaters also earned two first-place votes.

Pacific took the last first-place vote for the fourth spot with 58 points. Cal State Fullerton came in just behind CSUN and LBSU in the seventh spot with 34 points.

UC Riverside and UC Davis rounded out the poll in the eighth and ninth positions, respectively.

The Beach will host San Diego State at George Allen Field on Saturday at 5 p.m. in an exhibition to kick off the 2010 season.

No. School (first place votes) Points
2010 women’s soccer coaches poll
1  UC Santa Barbara (4)  75
 2  Cal Poly (2)  61
 3  UC Irvine (2)  60
 4  Pacific (1)  58
 5  Cal State Northridge  45
 6  LONG BEACH STATE  44
 7  Cal State Fullerton  34
 8  UC Riverside  15
 9  UC Davis  13