Men's Cross Country, Sports

LBSU captures individual title at Aztec Invitational

Two weeks after finishing second at the Fullerton Season Opener, the Long Beach State cross country team notched three top-10 finishers at the San Diego State-hosted Aztec Invitational on Saturday.

Junior Rosa Del Toro finished with a time of 18:02.3 to place first in the women’s 5,000-meter race at Balboa Park. Teammate Nina Moore completed the race just three seconds later to take second with a time of 18:05.6.

LBSU junior Lenore Moreno came in seventh place with a time of 18:34.1. On the women’s side, the 49ers finished in second place with 61 points, finishing just behind Brigham Young University’s 55 points.

Prism Garcia was the only other LBSU runner to finish in the top 25 with a time of 19:06.2, which was good enough for 25th place. The time marks a personal best for the sophomore by 12 seconds.

The LBSU men finished the team competition in third place — out of seven teams — with 74 points, putting them behind UCLA (58 points) and Northern Arizona (59).

The 49ers had three runners finish in the top 20 led by freshman Andrew Garcia’s 26:05.4 effort in the 8,000-meter race. It was Garcia’s first collegiate race.

Junior Josh Ruff (26:18.5) finished in 11th place while Raul Arcos (26:37.9) came in 17th.

Central Arizona’s Henry Lelei took the men’s individual crown with a time of 25:14.3.

The Beach will next travel to Northern California for the Stanford Invitational Sept. 25 with an 11 a.m. scheduled start time.