Men's Golf, Sports

The Beach places 5th at Mary Fossum Invitational

The Long Beach State women’s golf team moved up a spot Sunday morning in the final round of the Mary Fossum Invitational in East Lansing, Mich.

No. 25 LBSU finished the tournament in fifth place, shooting 71-over-par 935 over three rounds at Forest Akers West Golf Course. Notre Dame won the 11-team event by five shots with a 26-over 890 total.

Monica Villarreal paced the 49ers, improving by four spots to finish tied for 21st on the individual leaderboard. The junior shot 6-over 78 in the final round to finish the event at 17-over 233.

Nicole Zhang of Notre Dame was the lone player out of 63 to finish the tournament below par. The freshman carded a 9-under 207 score to win the individual title.

Seven spots behind Villarreal was 49ers sophomore Simone Hoey, who jumped 12 spots on the final day to tie for 28th. Hoey rebounded from an 82 in the second round to close the tournament with a 5-over 77 round. Her three-round total was 19-over 235.

Senior Lindsey McAtee produced LBSU’s lowest score of the round with the help of three birdies in her first event this season. She shot a 76 to finish tied for 39th, along with ‘Niners teammate Rochelle Chan, at 22-over 238.

Noelle Zavaleta rounded out The Beach’s total with a 23-over 239. The junior stumbled after posting team’s lowest round of the tournament — a 73 in the second round. Zavaleta shot 8-over 80 and dropped three spots to finish tied for 42nd.

Competing as an individual, LBSU senior Reina Rogers finished alone in 51st at 27-over 243.

The 49ers will return to the links Oct. 11-13 at the three-day Dale McNamara Invitational in Owasso, Okla.