Soccer, Sports

Senior midfielder hits books as hard as opponents

It was a sunny afternoon as the skies dawned a clear, blazing blue. A cool breeze softened the tension-filled air, while every so often, the wind whisked through her hair. She stood calm and ready, as her nerves remained steady. Then, the whistle blew and she cut through the field like a machete.

She bulldozed the frontline and picked apart the defense like scrap, knocking her opponents off the ball as they dropped face flat. Then, with one motion, she swung her leg back, aimed for the goal and fired a rocket through the gap.

With a nickname like the “Sheriff,” it’s easy to see why so many opposing teams are fearful of Long Beach State’s senior midfielder. After all, who wouldn’t be afraid of Lindsay Bullock?

Built to withstand punishment, this 20-year-old has garnered a reputation on the soccer field for steamrolling anyone who has stood in her way.

“On the field there’s goals and expectations, and by focusing in on that, I get into this mentality where it’s me versus you,” Bullock said.

But there’s plenty more to Bullock than what meets the eye.

If you’ve ever seen her off the field, then you would know why.

Because if you looked beyond the on-field image, you would find a humble heart that shook your hand with tender grace. A wide smile that glistened every time she stared in space. Bright green eyes that focused and hung on to your every word. And a voice that spoke of conviction like the leader of a herd.

If it’s not her physical play, then it’s her trademark leadership and commitment to empowering others that truly exceeds far beyond the boundaries of a soccer field.

“I’ve seen her grow the most as a leader,” said Bo Rael, an LBSU defender. “She’s always been such an influence on the field. But off the field, she’s a great student and she’s always on people to do their best.”

Being one step ahead has been a recurring theme throughout Bullock’s life. Before she ever donned a black-and-gold uniform, the Manhattan Beach native enrolled in the Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) program while attending Mira Costa High School.

It was there where she discovered her true calling in life. Rather than dawning upon her like some sort of biblical revelation, it took a nifty bit of time and effort. For four years, she diligently worked alongside instructional leaders who assisted her with organizational and study skills, and provided her with academic assistance from tutors.

In essence, the program enabled her to reach her capabilities through enrichment exercises that prepared her for the university level.

By her junior year in high school, she flourished in all her courses — specifically math — to the degree in which AVID instructors selected her to return to the program. Except this time, they wanted her to become an algebra tutor to freshman students.

Bullock admitted initially that she felt hesitant about the offer. Not because it lacked enticement, but rather she was uncertain over whether or not she was capable of becoming a math tutor to students nearly the same age as her. After all, she was only 15 years old.

But there she was, left to ponder over a proposition that would soon change her life forever — only she didn’t know it yet. Nevertheless, she decided to give it a shot. After all, she thought, what was the worst that could happen?

To her delight, however, Bullock’s efforts would finally come into fruition. Because for the first time in her life, she felt content. And, naturally, she took joy in being able to transcend her knowledge to a level far beyond comparison to her prior experiences. For there was no better feeling to her than to see others reach their potential at the expense of her instruction.

“I felt like I was able to help [students] and it was so rewarding for me to get the sense that something was clicking inside of their heads,” Bullock said with a smile. “I felt very complete.”

So complete that she decided that a teaching career accompanied with a degree in mathematics education would be best suited for her.

Aside from a background in tutoring, Bullock has also lent her expertise as an assistant coach to Mira Costa’s varsity soccer team in hopes of becoming a head coach herself one day.

But before Bullock ever became the player she is today, the midfielder remembered playing a number of different sports at the age of 4. However, under the encouragement of her parents, she gravitated towards soccer and shined naturally.

Bullock credited the challenge of playing alongside older kids as the driving force behind the culmination of her success as a player.

“Being younger than all the other players who were bigger, stronger and had more experience than me helped because it made me want to excel even more,” Bullock said.

And boy, did she ever.

Bullock’s brand of leadership and physical prowess on the field has been a cornerstone to Long Beach State’s success the last four years.

In 2008, she helped catapult the 49ers to a 14-5-4 record en route to their third consecutive Big West Conference title and first-ever appearance in the NCAA tournament. That same year, she took home some prestigious hardware after being named Conference Midfielder of the Year to go along with first-team All-Big West honors in 2009.

To put her prolific career into perspective, she is ranked among LBSU’s all-time career leaders in goals (fifth, 20), points (sixth, 43) and game-winning goals (third, 6).

“I’ve coached her (at the club level) since she was 14 and she’s just one of those special kids. She actually showed up to one of my overnight [soccer] camps during the summer time just to see who was coming to Long Beach State,” LBSU head coach Mauricio Ingrassia said.

Now, carrying 18 units this semester and less than a year away from graduating, Bullock’s journey has only begun.